What's new

2 Routers, 1 Switch, 1 PC.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
I need to be able to have PC access to 2 different routers either their web gui interface or access to the WAN each router provides. Currently, both routers are plugged into the internet modem. I always have 1 ethernet cable from my PC connected to one of the routers. When I need to switch from one network to another, I unplug the cable from that one router and plug it into the other. I also have at my disposal a Netgear GS108T switch but currently it is not used in this particular setup.

Is it possible for me to connect my PC along with both routers into this switch and then run 2 ethernet cables from this switch to each port on my internet modem? I am trying to figure out a way I can connect everything up to my PC at once and easily, without disconnecting cables, switch from one wan/router to another. Is this possible using this switch and if so, how do I switch from one router to the other while remain at my PC?

Yes, you can do it... But why?

Either way, set the IP ranges for each router to a different subnet say:
Router A: 192.168.0.1/24
Router B: 192.168.1.1/24

Turn DHCP off on one or both of them
Set your computer to have multiple IP addresses and gateways.

Not a very elegant solution but it should work for your stated requirements.

What are you trying to accomplish? That may make it easier for someone to help engineer a solution that will work better.

Don't use two routers. One router can be re-purposed as an access point.
Two routers = double-NAT, two subnets, and an admin nighmare for a simple home network.

What are you trying to accomplish? That may make it easier for someone to help engineer a solution that will work better.

The purpose of two routers, each with their own IP, is mostly for testing different setups. Just to mention a few, for instance, creating a VPN on one network then switching to the other to test it. As well, I have a bunch of home automation devices connected to my (main) lan I want to be able to test via local and remote access. :D

I'll triple down, don't do it. Or if you do, you'll really, really want a pair of NIC ins your PC. Otherwise it is going to be a REAL nightmare with the multiple IPs, subnets, etc, etc ad nauseum.

Just...just don't.

If you insist, I suggest this.

For the one network, have it run only on the one router, do NOT connect this back through your switch, Connecting to your modem is probably fine, have DHCP enabled and connected back to your PC on one NIC. Do NOT have this router set as your gateway. For the second network, connect it to your switch and the modem and to your PC on the second NIC. Have this one setup as your gateway.

If the only way to connect to the modem is through a switch, ensure that only the two routers are connected to the switch and then the modem and anything on the seperate networks is only connected to the routers themselves (or a switch behind the router).

That should work...but...still...I...yeah, I wouldn't.

Last edited:
:mad:Ok fine I wont. Guess I'll have to find another hobby to drive me crazy:(

:D Anyhooo, thank you everyone for your words of wisdom.

Hmmm I remember whatching something like that on Youtbe looking for I don't remember what :p
People with more knowledge (almost everyone here) can confirm if this would work.

Keep you routers on dif subnets and disable DHCP on them. Disable also on you modem. Keep them connect to your modem as it is.
Connect a LAN port of both routers to your switch, and a third port of the switch to you computer.
On your PC you just have to manually (or using a software like Mobile Net Switch) change your IP, GW and DNS, so you use a specific network at a time.
Does this work like you want?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!