What's new

2 users editing on a 10GbE NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Krs89

New Around Here
Hi,

I want to build a home network for two users to edit up to 8K 30fps H256 footage simultaneously.
Would connecting the Qnap TS-h973AX NAS using the 10G port, plus another connection with the Qnap 5G to USB adapter to a 10G switch yield any bandwidth increase when both editors are working at the same time?

Attachments

• Artboard 1 copy.jpg
    Artboard 1 copy.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 61
not really. I don't think the ubw flex xg supports lacp.

if you really want 2 x 10G, then you need to get a NAS with native 2 x 10G + a managed 10G switch that supports lacp.

not really. I don't think the ubw flex xg supports lacp.

if you really want 2 x 10G, then you need to get a NAS with native 2 x 10G + a managed 10G switch that supports lacp.
I see, thanks for the answer. With this current NAS (since we already have it and the Qnap 10G adapter), would adding a 10G switch give any benefits other than not having to connect to the internet separately?

Adding another 10GbE switch will give negligible benefits for the two users.

Adding another NAS/DAS will make the biggest performance benefit (with one user on one NAS and the other user on the second NAS).

Late to the party, but yes, you can benefit from adding the second 5Gbs adapter--but it does require a trick as well as your nas to be fast enough to saturate both.

With multiple SSDs in the nas I can see it being fast enough, so I think you have that covered.

The trick is that each port has to have its own IP address and each computer will need to access the nas by the respective IP address to have that dedicated bandwidth. So computer A will need to connect with NAS IP1 and computer B would need to connect with NASIP2. This would allow each to transfer to the NAS with full bandwidth. Now, on windows 10+ the smb3 protocol will detect all paths between a source and destination and use them, even when there are different IPs involved, so if the Mac do the same, then having the switch and connecting all 3 connections from the nas--the 2.5Gb, the 5Gb, and the 10Gb, will give the 2x computers a total of 17.5Gb of bandwidth. Remember to also wire those computers for maximum speeds--wireless will cut the speeds dramatically.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online