What's new

2 Volume NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

swoti

Occasional Visitor
Hi community,

i´m currently thinking about buying a new NAS. I have about 10TB of data and ran out of space on my old NAS.
I would like to set up a device with two volumes:
1.) The first volume should be something like a productive NAS volume. Here I would like to store images and stuff I want to access via internet and stuff that is changed more often.
2.) The second volume should be something like a "Data grave" (is that an english word?) where I would like to store things like movies and stuff I back up from my PC. here I would like to use the cheaper Seagate Archive v2 drives.

My question is. Do you think that´s a good plan to use two volumes? Would it be better to have to NAS? Is every disk spinning up when I get access to one of the volumes?

I´m currently favoring the Synology 1815+ but maybe there are arguments for a Qnap solution?

Thanks for your input.

Best,
Stefan

For years, I've used two volumes so that if the "main" volume's file system becomes corrupt, or human error causes data loss, the auto-backup will keep a copy on the 2nd volume.
Synology's "Time Backup" keeps the last n versions of selected folders/files on my volume 2 as well. It's saved my buns many times when I screw up.

1815 is a big puppy. Wouldn't a 4 bay do?

Good thinking: multiple volumes. RAID is not a backup.

Thanks for your posting. Did your NAs always spin up all harddrives or only the drives of the volume you accessed? I think I will need more than 4 drives because I would like to store the Film, Music and Image data from my PC in a Raid 5 with the cheap seagates and therefor I will need about 4 HDD. For the productive volume I would like to use 2 4 or 6TB WD Reds.

Can have as many volumes as one wants - as volumes are not directly linked to a physical disk... good question about spinning up disks - since I'm running a 4 disk RAID10, any volume on that RAID set would spin up all the drives, but if I had other drives and other volumes, that I can't answer...

Synology is good, so is QNAP - staying with the same vendor does make the migration quite a bit easier.

I´m currently using a QNAP NAS but I heard a lot concerning the more intuitive OS of Synology. On the other hand I like the build quality of the trays and I think there is no 6bay NAS from synology.
What I´m trying to understand is if it´s a good choice to use the Seagate Archive HDD for the "Data Grave" and if i should use a Raid for that or better something like single disks which are backuped. I think when I will have to rebuild the RAID with the Seagate that will take forever and is stressing the drives.

Hmmm... I probably wouldn't use that HDD in a NAS... they're good drives for backup, and I use one for backup (external USB3). It's the slow random write performance that would be a concern in a NAS box.

I would check with the vendor to see if it's on their tested device/compatability list - QNAP keeps their fairly current..

(BTW - QTS 4.2 is around the corner, I've posted a link in the QNAP sub-forum with their simulator so one can test drive it)

Ok..I think from the side of costs I will maybe then use 6TB drives. So I think I will go for the following configuration:
1st volume: 2x WD Reds (4 TB or less) in RAID 1 for the "productive" part of the NAS
2nd volume: 4x WD Reds (6TB) in RAID5 for the storage and backupt part

The second volume will then be backuped by my internal drives in the PC or maybe later in a 2 bay RAID 1 NAS.

What do you think about that? Has anybody any suggestions to that project?
Thanks!!

No one with a opinion concerning the setup or the hardware?
That's a lot of TB and a lot of drives. Can't guess what your storage needs are.
I will say that RAID1 with 4TB is hard (slow) to backup. RAID is NOT a backup. Human error and theft are likely you greatest risk.

This must be a video editing, video surveillance, or avid DVD ripper's NAS!