1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

2 Volume NAS

Discussion in 'NAS Buying Advice' started by swoti, Sep 21, 2015.

1. swoti

swoti Occasional Visitor

Hi community,

i´m currently thinking about buying a new NAS. I have about 10TB of data and ran out of space on my old NAS.
    I would like to set up a device with two volumes:
    1.) The first volume should be something like a productive NAS volume. Here I would like to store images and stuff I want to access via internet and stuff that is changed more often.
    2.) The second volume should be something like a "Data grave" (is that an english word?) where I would like to store things like movies and stuff I back up from my PC. here I would like to use the cheaper Seagate Archive v2 drives.

My question is. Do you think that´s a good plan to use two volumes? Would it be better to have to NAS? Is every disk spinning up when I get access to one of the volumes?

I´m currently favoring the Synology 1815+ but maybe there are arguments for a Qnap solution?

Thanks for your input.

Best,
    Stefan

2. stevech

stevech Part of the Furniture

For years, I've used two volumes so that if the "main" volume's file system becomes corrupt, or human error causes data loss, the auto-backup will keep a copy on the 2nd volume.
    Synology's "Time Backup" keeps the last n versions of selected folders/files on my volume 2 as well. It's saved my buns many times when I screw up.

1815 is a big puppy. Wouldn't a 4 bay do?

Good thinking: multiple volumes. RAID is not a backup.

3. swoti

swoti Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your posting. Did your NAs always spin up all harddrives or only the drives of the volume you accessed? I think I will need more than 4 drives because I would like to store the Film, Music and Image data from my PC in a Raid 5 with the cheap seagates and therefor I will need about 4 HDD. For the productive volume I would like to use 2 4 or 6TB WD Reds.

4. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Can have as many volumes as one wants - as volumes are not directly linked to a physical disk... good question about spinning up disks - since I'm running a 4 disk RAID10, any volume on that RAID set would spin up all the drives, but if I had other drives and other volumes, that I can't answer...

Synology is good, so is QNAP - staying with the same vendor does make the migration quite a bit easier.

5. swoti

swoti Occasional Visitor

I´m currently using a QNAP NAS but I heard a lot concerning the more intuitive OS of Synology. On the other hand I like the build quality of the trays and I think there is no 6bay NAS from synology.
    What I´m trying to understand is if it´s a good choice to use the Seagate Archive HDD for the "Data Grave" and if i should use a Raid for that or better something like single disks which are backuped. I think when I will have to rebuild the RAID with the Seagate that will take forever and is stressing the drives.

6. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Hmmm... I probably wouldn't use that HDD in a NAS... they're good drives for backup, and I use one for backup (external USB3). It's the slow random write performance that would be a concern in a NAS box.

I would check with the vendor to see if it's on their tested device/compatability list - QNAP keeps their fairly current..

(BTW - QTS 4.2 is around the corner, I've posted a link in the QNAP sub-forum with their simulator so one can test drive it)

7. swoti

swoti Occasional Visitor

Ok..I think from the side of costs I will maybe then use 6TB drives. So I think I will go for the following configuration:
    1st volume: 2x WD Reds (4 TB or less) in RAID 1 for the "productive" part of the NAS
    2nd volume: 4x WD Reds (6TB) in RAID5 for the storage and backupt part

The second volume will then be backuped by my internal drives in the PC or maybe later in a 2 bay RAID 1 NAS.

What do you think about that? Has anybody any suggestions to that project?
    Thanks!!

8. swoti

swoti Occasional Visitor

No one with a opinion concerning the setup or the hardware?

9. stevech

stevech Part of the Furniture

That's a lot of TB and a lot of drives. Can't guess what your storage needs are.
    I will say that RAID1 with 4TB is hard (slow) to backup. RAID is NOT a backup. Human error and theft are likely you greatest risk.

This must be a video editing, video surveillance, or avid DVD ripper's NAS!