What's new

24 Switch recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nydennis

New Around Here
Hi all.

Looking to buy a 24 port switch for my home. I currently have a bunch (about 6 or 7) smaller GB switches in the lines but really wanted to move to a single 24 port switch and run individual wires to each device. I have 1000ft of Cat5e already and my longest run to other end of house is a cat6 cable. I thought that maybe by putting everything on one switch I'd have less hops through the switches while streaming?

I have roughly 20 wired devices and several wireless devices through my router.

3 cable DVR boxes
3 Dune Smart Units
1 Synology DS411+ Nas
1 Dlink-DNS-325 Nas for backups
3 wired computers
4 printers
1 WAP at other end of house
1 AV receiver
2 TV's

Last edited:
Even though you have multiple switches in line...and yes you are going a couple of extra hops maybe...switches work really at line rate speed. You aren't going to notice a difference really if everything on your network is full gigabit and you're trying to stream or transfer files.

However, if you still want a single switch, the link below is 24-port switches (unmanaged) sorted by best rating from newegg.com users.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eId=1&name=24 x RJ45&Order=RATING&Pagesize=20

Even though you have multiple switches in line...and yes you are going a couple of extra hops maybe...switches work really at line rate speed. You aren't going to notice a difference really if everything on your network is full gigabit and you're trying to stream or transfer files.

However, if you still want a single switch, the link below is 24-port switches (unmanaged) sorted by best rating from newegg.com users.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eId=1&name=24 x RJ45&Order=RATING&Pagesize=20

Would the quality of the smaller GB switches make any difference? They are all Trendnet GB switches. I did some research and noticed that I have a 10/100 switch in the line but only my printers and other 10/100 devices are plugged into them.

if the 100mb switch is *inbetween* 2 other gbit switches, then that is your problem.

if the 100mb switch is only inbetween your printer and another gbit switch, then it should not affect any other switches.

if the 100mb switch is *inbetween* 2 other gbit switches, then that is your problem.

if the 100mb switch is only inbetween your printer and another gbit switch, then it should not affect any other switches.

Yes, I understand that if the 100 is between two switches. (It's not.) I'm debating on just leaving it alone for now and saving my money since it is not really causing a problem.

For the most part most switches are Main switch > second switch. In two rooms I have Main switch > second switch > third switch.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!