What's new

266 firmware much better signal strength

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

italyguy01

Regular Contributor
I been using 270 firmware, and I just switched to 266, I get a very noticeable gain in signal strength and speed.

Anyone Else? It is like 270 is flawed.

I moved to 270 the first day it came out. I noticed the same speed degradation you've outlined and moved back to 266. I must confess my experiments to determine speed was adhoc and not carefully managed across 266 and 270 so the results are anecdotal. So many parameters could influence the result and those parameters were not common when I was measuring across 266 and 270. With no time for additional experiments I have since moved to 270.24 (Merlin) and got back to normal. I haven't looked back.

Brad

I like Merlin's version better as well, I am a strong supporter of Merlin.

I have tried the 270.24 but same as regular 270 with regards to signal strength.

I am using 266 now. I did notice that on version 266, you can see differences when you adjust the mw output, where in 270, you don't.

But even so, using both at 80mw, 266 has much better distance/signal strength and speed.

I like Merlin's version better as well, I am a strong supporter of Merlin.

I have tried the 270.24 but same as regular 270 with regards to signal strength.

I am using 266 now. I did notice that on version 266, you can see differences when you adjust the mw output, where in 270, you don't.

But even so, using both at 80mw, 266 has much better distance/signal strength and speed.

According to a survey I held back at the time, the driver Asus used in 246 and 260 caused stability issues for one person out of two. That was why I was still using the build 220 driver for quite some time.

The build 270 driver however has been better than 220 for the majority of users. Only two persons so far mentioned issues with it, so I suspect it has to do with their settings.

If I keep the same exact settings for 270, and roll back to 266, 266 has a much better signal strength and speed.
Especially on the 5ghz side.

So I highly doubt it is settings if none of the settings have changed between the two.

I also can see noticeable difference when changing the mw power output with 266, where 270 there is no change.

If I keep the same exact settings for 270, and roll back to 266, 266 has a much better signal strength and speed.
Especially on the 5ghz side.

So I highly doubt it is settings if none of the settings have changed between the two.

That doesn't mean anything. For example, it could be that a feature you have enabled didn't work in previous builds, and it does in build 270, creating an issue as this feature should be kept disabled for your particular environment.

Otherwise, there would be far more users having problems. Right now, there are fewer reports of problems with 270 than there was with 260.

Interesting, but what feature could cause a huge drop in signal strength with 270?

It was another user that I read about the 266 being much stronger signal.

Anyone else?

I'm sending my RT-AC66U back. They are sending a replacement. Tech Support thinks there may be an issue with my unit.

It is a shame, cause I think this unit has potential, but is very buggy.

Good thing I saved a copy, and you can also use Merlin's 266.23B copy!

266.23b was using the wireless driver from Asus's build 220 BTW.

260 or 266?

Did you notice any differences between power adjustments on the 260 firmware?
I am using the 260 firmware but changes to the Tx have ZERO effect on output (using inSSIDer to measure).

Did you notice any differences between power adjustments on the 260 firmware?
I am using the 260 firmware but changes to the Tx have ZERO effect on output (using inSSIDer to measure).

I bet you they did pull it because I have been working with tech support on issues with 270.

260 firmware, ABSOLUTELY had control over transmit power, I could verify this definitely.

270 makes no difference when you adjust mw power.

Tech Support emailed me and said they are aware and confirmed the Signal Strength issues, as well as 2.4ghz performance issues in 270.

They said it will be addressed and fixed in the next firmware update, and he recommended I continue to use 266.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!