What's new

2950 Configuration for home network.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geek2150

New Around Here
Thank you in advance for the forum. I am new to this switch business and need help.
I have comcast cable internet service. An Arris SURFboard SB6190 Cable Modem connected to an Arris SURFboard AC3200 WiFi router. I would like to add a 2950 switch to give me some more ports. I do not want anything fancy. I want all the ports on the same LAN.
Question 1: Do I connect the switch to the modem or the router?

Question 2: What configuration do I put into the switch to make this work?

Sorry about the noob questions, I have quite a bit of computer experience, but not so much with networking equipment. My previous stuff has all been plug and play.

Thank you

As in a Cisco 2950? If so....why? If you aren't doing anything fancy, just buy a basic switch. No need to pay the Cisco tax nor the managed switch tax unless you are after a specific feature set.

Thank you for the reply/suggestion. I got the Cisco 2950 on ebay for $20, so its cheaper than anything else. I like the industrial quality and would like to learn the ins and outs of Cisco in the process.

Understood...I have a Cisco 2906G for nearly the same reason....although I am using the most basic VLAN features to cover my guest and DMZ networks.

Assuming you have access to console, just set all of the switchports to be access ports on a single VLAN and you should be good. If you are going to "manage" the switch other than direct console, don't forget to change/set all the passwords.

For the most basic setup, the switch will be plugged into the LAN port on the router. Then all other LAN clients will plug into the switch.

Basic commands:

conf t
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
switchport access vlan 55
switchport mode access
exit
write mem

Keep in mind, there is a good chance your interfaces are "FastEthernet" instead of "GigabitEthernet" depending on exactly which model it is.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!