What's new

2x Asus RT-N66U (Merlin Fork) - Traffic Monitor Log Size?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve M.

Occasional Visitor
Greetings SNBForums:

I have two Asus RT-N66U Wireless Routers (in WDS) and I'd like to enable detailed traffic monitoring so I can see exactly which nodes are sucking up the bandwidth (Wild Blue Satellite <30GB / Month).

I'd like to use a 256MB USB Flash Drive (UFD) dedicated to storing Traffic Monitor Logs (nothing else really).

Will this be big enough to store traffic monitor log files for one or two months? What is the suggested minimum requirement?

I don't expect to ever have more than 5 nodes connected at a time and bandwidth is capped at 30GB/month so not a whole lot of traffic is being generated.

I have a 2GB Flash Drive I can use if need be but I'd rather keep it; I'm giving this flash drive away for this purpose...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
At most you won't need more than 15-20 KB for the database, so pretty much any USB thumb drive will do.

Is it recommended to format this small 256MB USB Flash Drive I have as FAT or Ext2?

I can use either Windows or Linux for this.

Also, out of curiosity, can I SSH (currently enabled) into the router for this purpose?

I found this guide on formatting and partitions UFDs for Asus WRT but I think perhaps that's over complicating things, it seems as simple as formatting the UFD with Windows Explorer or Linux Mint GParted, then simply plugging in the drive as per instructions:
Lastly, my sincere gratitude and appreciation for all your help and the amazing folks in this forum...

~Steve M.

FAT32 will be fine if all you want is store the traffic database.