What's new

2x EX8000 vs Powerline

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sparxxx

Regular Contributor
Hi guys

I have a question regarding a new set up I want to build.
Current setup:
- Gigabit Fiber connected to an Ubiquiti router with SFP port + 1 Netgear 5 port switch
- Netgear EX7300 in Office room connected to the switch and functions as a AP
- Powerline connected to the switch
- 2nd Poweline in the living room (using only Ethernet ports of it, no WiFi)

Future setup:
- Gigabit Fiber connected to an Ubiquiti router with SFP port + 1 Netgear 5 port switch
- Replace EX7300 in Office room with the new Netgear EX8000 using it as AP
- 2nd EX8000 in the living room replacing the power line.

Basically
I want to replace my Poweline and go straight to WiFi with 2x Netgear EX8000 (one as AP one as Extender using same SSID)

Do you think this would be a good idea? Can I use one as AP and one as extender of the same SSID (stupid question).

Thanks

What throughput are you getting now through the powerline?

What throughput are you expecting after the proposed change?

Hi thiggins! Thanks for your reply.
At the moment I am getting around 350mbps thorugh the powerling (Devolo 1200+).
As I said I only use the ethernet ports on it to connect my media players (dune, appel tv) and stream movies. Perhaps I would continue to use the ethernet ports on the EX8000 too...
I would expect at least the same throughput.
Another advantage would be that I could get WiFi on my terrace which is next to the living room and now suffers from poor signal.

PS: Tried also the WiFi on the powerline in the living room but it's about 200mbps... not worth.

I don't understand your PS. What WiFi on the powerline?

What is home construction (wood frame, concrete, etc.) and distance between locations where you will have the two EX8000?

The Powerline has 2 adapters. 1 which functions as the main one (connected to the switch) and one as extender (has 2 gigabit ports and wifi ac into it). I am just using one of the gigabit ports.

Normal apartment building, about 100m2 with concrete and brick.

I will have one EX8000 in the office room connected to the switch where the fiber is and use it as AP. The other EX8000 I want to have it in the living room and act as extender for the one in the office.
Is there a better way to do it?

The Powerline has 2 adapters. 1 which functions as the main one (connected to the switch) and one as extender (has 2 gigabit ports and wifi ac into it). I am just using one of the gigabit ports.

Normal apartment building, about 100m2 with concrete and brick.

I will have one EX8000 in the office room connected to the switch where the fiber is and use it as AP. The other EX8000 I want to have it in the living room and act as extender for the one in the office.
Is there a better way to do it?

For the ISP speed that you have and the money you are going to spend have you checked on the possibility of running Ethernet cables? Nothing is going to beat Ethernet for speed or reliability.

For the ISP speed that you have and the money you are going to spend have you checked on the possibility of running Ethernet cables? Nothing is going to beat Ethernet for speed or reliability.

You know... Sometimes it is important to keep interior view perfect first of all. Ethernet cables are best of all the rest but if you do not have them in your walls? My wife will not accept any cables visible in my flat but no problems to have powerline adapters in plugs ;).

IMO any wired connection is the most reliable solution. Even if it is powerline.

Voxel.

As Voxel said I can't run cables everywhere.
It will cost more to run them through the walls than the 2x EX8000. I won't let them visible.
I have ordered one EX8000 to test it. Should be here in a couple of hours (the beauty of same day delivery) :).

You know... Sometimes it is important to keep interior view perfect first of all. Ethernet cables are best of all the rest but if you do not have them in your walls? My wife will not accept any cables visible in my flat but no problems to have powerline adapters in plugs ;).

IMO any wired connection is the most reliable solution. Even if it is powerline.

Voxel.

You use the word "flat" which leads me to believe that you live in either an apartment or condo. If that is the case then you probably don't have access to the space above or below your unit to facilitate wall fishes. However I have lived in many MDUs where there are chases installed for ducts, piping and electrical. You would be surprised on how easy it is sometimes for a skilled alarm installer or electrician to run low voltage cabling and do wall fishes and hide cables.

In any case good luck with your EX8000.

You use the word "flat" which leads me to believe that you live in either an apartment or condo. If that is the case then you probably don't have access to the space above or below your unit to facilitate wall fishes. However I have lived in many MDUs where there are chases installed for ducts, piping and electrical. You would be surprised on how easy it is sometimes for a skilled alarm installer or electrician to run low voltage cabling and do wall fishes and hide cables.

In any case good luck with your EX8000.

Well... I have to live as in the flat as in private house with full access to the space above an below my unit. 50/50 of my time. With full access to my walls and my chases in this private house :) . Why it is so: it's my own business. But what I know: it is not possible sometimes to apply all my human rights to do what-I-wish with my house/walls/chases. Better to be in peace with my woman with their understanding of beauty of our living place. ;)

It is my private opinion only. You may have your own.

P.S. I do not have EX8000.

Voxel.

Well got the 2x EX8000 last night and so far so good.
I get about 600 - 690mbps depending where I am in the house. Not bad I would say. Pretty happy
Thanks guys for your time and answers.

Well got the 2x EX8000 last night and so far so good.
I get about 600 - 690mbps depending where I am in the house. Not bad I would say. Pretty happy
Thanks guys for your time and answers.
Thanks for reporting back.

Can you provide some more detail about your client devices and your testing methodology? I don’t think I even own a wireless device that could do 600-690Mbps sitting right next to an access point.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!