What's new

2x RT-AX86U + wifi mesh + wifi 6 connection for users - question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

przemekwawa

Regular Contributor
Hi,
Short question, as I am planning to buy 2x AX86U - is it possible and works fine (second thing more important) to have mesh over Wifi 6 (dedicated back-haul) and also clients connected to Wifi 6? I have found some KB on asus website related to other device, that it should work fine, it is possible to create second wifi 6 SSID for clients.
But does it work fine in real world for anyone? Does it work on Merlin firmware? Any limits to that solution?
I would like to connect only to main device some wifi 6 devices.

everything should except possibly your last statement. I think someone mentioned on forums this ability to set a prefered node for a client was added to the latest firmware 386? Maybe someone can chime in, I'm not quite sure on that one.

The AX86U only has two radios... one 2.4Ghz and one 5Ghz. If one of those two bands is dedicated it would leave only one band for the clients. If you want a wireless router with client access to both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and you want to have a dedicated wireless Wifi 6 backhaul (and not use a wired connection between them) then you will want wireless triband routers that have three radios (like the Asus XT8 combo package, or two GT-AX11000 with 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz-1, 5Ghz-2 or two of the new soon to be released GT-AXE1100 with a 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and 6Ghz band radio). If you want to use the two routers for AiMesh with client access for both radios and don't care about "dedicated wireless backhaul" then the dual band AX86U will work for you.

Last edited: