What's new

3.0.0.4.260.21: weird firmware update problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NoSync

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I own 3 RT-N66U routers, which all used to be on 3.0.0.4.246.20 (working flawlessly). Yesterday I was trying to update them all to 3.0.0.4.260.21; no problems with 2 of them, while a weird thing is happening on the third one: I go on, upload the firmware, the router itself reboots correctly but then it's still on the old version. No errors in the log, and the same thing happens after a cold reboot and even after resetting configuration to default. No malfunctioning at all, anyway; it just won't update.

Any ideas?

Some people have been having issues updating firmwares (not just Asuswrt-Merlin, it also happens with the original Asus firmware). I have never experienced it myself, so I have no idea what would be the cause.

Assuming you aren't trying to flash the wrong firmware version (since you already flashed two other routers), you should try flashing through the Firmware Recovery tool. That method always works.

Try also a different browser in case something is preventing your browser from uploading the file properly to that router.

What made you think to try that? Great problem solving. I would've never thought to disable download master.

DownloadMaster uses a lot of RAM. If your router is too low on RAM, then it won't have enough space to accept the firmware and to write it.

What made you think to try that? Great problem solving. I would've never thought to disable download master.

Pain vs Brain.

Pain: I've had ups and downs with Download Master since I've had the N66U, so I just got rid of trouble for a while.

Brain: Merlin just gave you the technical reason in previous post.

Not using Download Master and already tried with different browsers; I'll try with the Firmware Recovery tool as soon as I get some time to play with the router, and some Windows box. Thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!