What's new

3.0.0.4.388_23285 poor wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Apexi

New Around Here
Good that i found this place becuse this problem is driving my crazy.
I have a Asus RT-AX82U router and it has worked perfect for my needs since day one.
A couple month ago (can't really remeber when) i read some news regarding a backdoor and that Asus was rolling out a new firmware.
Did the update and since that day my Wi-Fi has acted kinda weird.
*Even with a good signal the Wi-Fi drops for some unit.
*My printer can't even find the SSD and to solve that i need to reboot my router and reconnect the printer. But i will only stay connected for a day or two before the SSD disappears again.
*With full signal on the Wi-Fi the speed is not the same as before the update.

So what's my options here? Roll back to the older firmware and ignore the backdoor?
Or should i try Merlin?

Switching to Merlin may not help. A factory reset and manual reconfigure may be in order especially if you have fiddled with the default WIFI settings. I have found that using the defaults works best for me. Yes, use the Dual Band SmartConnect with auto channel settings. Enable DFS if you want to but it can be flaky in areas with RADAR transmissions.
I would also expect new firmware in the near future as it has been a while now for most AX Asus routers.

Switching to Merlin may not help. A factory reset and manual reconfigure may be in order especially if you have fiddled with the default WIFI settings. I have found that using the defaults works best for me. Yes, use the Dual Band SmartConnect with auto channel settings. Enable DFS if you want to but it can be flaky in areas with RADAR transmissions.
I would also expect new firmware in the near future as it has been a while now for most AX Asus routers.

Oh forgot to mention that i did a factory reset the day after i noticed the problems. Only change i done is SSD, password and portforward
When you say Dual Band SmartConnect, do you mean WiFi Agile Multiband?

Oh forgot to mention that i did a factory reset the day after i noticed the problems. Only change i done is SSD, password and portforward
Good. Other things you can try is to set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz bandwidth. Older printers that use 2.4 GHz may like that. Use WPA2-Personal, which is the default.

Good. Other things you can try is to set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz bandwidth. Older printers that use 2.4 GHz may like that. Use WPA2-Personal, which is the default.

I'm using both 20 and 40 MHz since it's the default setting. It baffles me, it always has worked flawless since i bought this router right until i updated the firmware. I might give a downgrade a go later today.

I have posted some time ago fail-safe settings for RT-AX86U. Your router has the same 5GHz radio.

Try before you downgrade or reset.

Nope. It did make any change :) Guess i'll go with downgrading or Marling, and if that not make it i buy a new router and it won't be a Asus again :D

Asuswrt-Merlin (GNUton's fork for this router) has no changes in Wi-Fi. Closed source, comes from Asuswrt. Roll back one Asuswrt version and test again. If still not good - look for different hardware options.

Asuswrt-Merlin (GNUton's fork for this router) has no changes in Wi-Fi. Closed source, comes from Asuswrt. Roll back one Asuswrt version and test again. If still not good - look for different hardware options.

Do you have a link for that Merlin firmware, if i decide to try it out later?

Last edited:
This is the latest stable release:

Based on 388_22525 GPL. Again, no changes to anything Wi-Fi, comes from stock Asuswrt.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!