What's new

30-30-30 Resets Still Necessary?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Synomenon

Regular Contributor
I remember reading all the time on various forums that 30-30-30 resets should always be done before and after updating a router's firmware.

Is this true as well with Asus routers? Would clearing the NVRAM through telnet commands do the same thing?

I've had pretty good success doing the following:

1. Either telnet in or use the Web Manager interface at http://your.router.address.here/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp and issue the following commands:
a. mtd-erase -d nvram
b. reboot​
2. Wait about a minute.
3. Since this pretty much factory resets your router, renew your IP address on a connected machine and then upgrade the firmware through the web interface.
4. After the firmware update is finished, go back to that link up there, issue another mtd-erase -d nvram and reboot.
5. Done.

I don't know if this is considered correct, but I've been pretty happy with this method. I think that you could probably skip the first part and just upgrade your firmware without resetting anything, then only issuing the mtd-erase command once after the firmware upgrade finishes...but I haven't played that way yet. I'll do it when the next firmware update is released.

The 30-30-30 method is a generic method used by DD-WRT users which works on almost every router. It's usually not required on most routers, but they are recommending the lowest common denominator that will work for most of them rather than recommending 10+ different reset methods.

The RT-N66U doesn't require that kind of thing when you are using its original firmware. At worst, you can wipe its settings using the reset button, the recovery mode mini webui, or the above method over telnet.

The 30-30-30 method is a generic method used by DD-WRT users which works on almost every router. It's usually not required on most routers, but they are recommending the lowest common denominator that will work for most of them rather than recommending 10+ different reset methods.

The RT-N66U doesn't require that kind of thing when you are using its original firmware. At worst, you can wipe its settings using the reset button, the recovery mode mini webui, or the above method over telnet.
In another thread, you gave me theses commands:
nvram unset login_ip_str
nvram unset login_timestamp
nvram unset login_ip
nvram commit

Do the above commands do the same as:
mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

In another thread, you gave me theses commands:

Do the above commands do the same as:

The command I gave you only removes the entries that makes the router think someone is already logged on the web interface. The mtd-erase command however would erase *ALL* router settings.

Hey RMerlin, do these commands:
still work / do the same thing on the RT-AC66U?

Yes. First batch will wipe out any leftover logged user if you have trouble logging in, the second batch will let you completely wipe out your configuration.

I'm having problem with my old ASUS WL-500g router after updating the Firmware.
Cannot access the web anymore. Also try the 30-30-30 reset method.
I've another (UPC) router/modem with IP 192.168.10.2 and working correctly, also have internet.
The last ASUS IP-address was 192.168.10.1 , need only for the USB port - Printer.
Q: How can I get the default web page back ?
Also after going to a restore mode, and try to upload the old firmware thru the ASUS Utility, it says cannot find router.

Please help me out