What's new

374.43 "received packet with own address as source address"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cvx01

Regular Contributor
Anyone else having issues with 374.33 on N66U or know a fix for this issue?

Several times a day both the ASUS Web UI and WAN/Internet connection slows to a crawl requiring a reboot of the unit. Each time this happens, prior to rebooting to resolve, I see the error below appear.

Jul 2 07:22:29 kernel: eth2: received packet with own address as source address

I see this message as well, I reported that here.

I have no clue about what is happening. :confused:

Anyone else having issues with 374.33 on N66U or know a fix for this issue?

Several times a day both the ASUS Web UI and WAN/Internet connection slows to a crawl requiring a reboot of the unit. Each time this happens, prior to rebooting to resolve, I see the error below appear.

Jul 2 07:22:29 kernel: eth2: received packet with own address as source address

Is your SSID the same for the 5g and 2g? I have seen those message before when I have the SSID the same on both channels. When I set the SSIDs to be different, they go away. Bug maybe?

Is your SSID the same for the 5g and 2g? I have seen those message before when I have the SSID the same on both channels. When I set the SSIDs to be different, they go away. Bug maybe?

Nope. SSIDs are different. I rolled back to .42 and the problem seems solved now. Thanks.

I get that message all the time. I think it was also present in the 374.42.

When I have my microsoft surface tab 2 connected (5ghz) these messages always appear. Im not sure if its to do with it disconnecting and reconnecting when its in a weak 5ghz area?:confused:

That message has been reported for years. It's in no way related to a specific firmware version, and it can appear under a wide range of situations, including:

- Switching between 2.4 and 5 GHz band
- Having a laptop connected to both wifi and Ethernet at the same time

That message has been reported for years. It's in no way related to a specific firmware version, and it can appear under a wide range of situations, including:

- Switching between 2.4 and 5 GHz band
- Having a laptop connected to both wifi and Ethernet at the same time

Thanks RMerlin. In my situation, neither condition above is true. Different SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, only one AP SSID entered per client (so no risk of client jumping across SSID's) and no laptop hard cabled. All laptops also have Ethernet disabled in the device manager for good measure.

The main difference is while on .42, while I do still see these errors, the WiFi connection remains stable and does NOT slow to a crawl.

It may be total coincidence, but even after factory reset and nvram clear, on .43 whenever WiFi would slow to crawl (eventually requiring a reboot), these errors would occur exactly within the same minute(s) right before the issue was first noticed. This is very consistent and each time these entries would appear. I doubt this is an issue on your end but wanted to point out the relevance of these errors (at least for me) while on .43. Thanks for the support and great work, as always. :)

It's sounds like a spanning tree report.

I have 2 buildings that are not hard wired together. The buildings are 10 feet apart. The repeater is 20 feet away from the AP in a straight line.

The walls in the main building are made of wood and isolation. The wall is 1 ft 4 in wide. 8 inches of the wall is solid timber. The second building (where the AP is located) has 8 in walls of wood and isolation with no solid timber inside (as I know about). I have connected them by running AP - Repeater mode with 2 RT-AC66U on the 2.4GHz channel. The speed fluctuates between 243 and 450 Mbps. When connecting on the 5GHz channel it's mostly connected with a speed of 243 Mbps.

The AP is bridged to a Thomson router. Before I bridged the router and the AP I had to restart the repeater 1 to 2 times a week.

I have been running Merlin build 374.43. Now I'm testing the new ASUS 376.1123 version.

Our iPhone's and iPad's jumps back and forth between the AP and the repeater. I think that's the reason why I get this message in the system log.

Could this be occuring because some users have the same mac on their router as their modem (mac cloning)?

For me, I get this once in awhilebecause I have a dd-wrt wireless bridge with the same mac as my n66u, it seems to work better that way for some reason but it does complain about it a bit in the syslog...

Last edited by a moderator: