What's new

[378.55 to 378.56_2 (on RT-N66U) question(s)]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ringding

Occasional Visitor
Hello, All. Just was wondering if i can "slap/flash/load" the 378.56_2 trx on top of my current 378.55 without needing to do any Factory reset (before or after). The readme.txt in the 378.56_2 zip seems to say that i don't need to, but i'd like to be sure, as the ASUS Restore CDROM will do me no good on a network of Tablets, Phones, Raspberry pi/pi2 and a few Macbook Airs (no CDROM drives). I don't think that that CDROM is even MAC compatible as i recall putting it in a "Mid 2008 Macbook" which is stuck on OSX 10.6.8 (LOOONG story) but the disk would not load, and that's the only "CDROM" drive in the house.

Also, one day my router's power button popped up and now i have to TAPE (ARG!!) it down with a "foreign" coin or the router shuts OFF--(I'm in the USA, and a dime was to wide, so i had to use what i think is a copper Euro 'penny" because the gorilla tape would get warm and let the button up with just tape, turning off the router every day or so). The penny helps keep the power button down and the tape keeps the penny down. It's ghetto-rigged but anyone got a better idea?? heh. It has been up & running since i found that coin, but it looks piss-poor heh.

Also had to "un-stealth" the lights so i can tell WTF is going on with it--now every time i walk by it i feel a seizure coming on. Don't have a spare router (well, old Linksys G routers but i need to use USB samba shares (2 x 2TB USB drives full of 'media') on the ASUS for my raspberry pi 2 running OSMC/Kodi ) so I guess it is time to upgrade to an RT-AC* model and THEN contact ASUS to see if it is under warrantee? This happen to anyone else? I NEVER used that button... i barely ever touch the router. I have many ASUS products but none have spontaneously "broke" in any way before this. Now i just don't feel as confident in flashing it, i guess? NOTHING on my LAN should need "Gorilla Tape & a Euro-Penny" for ANY reason; esp. just to stay on. And this is a router so if it goes, so does the LAN (Yes the 'end-users' will all harass ME about the down-time). Then what would i do all day? Besides drive to Fry's to get one with a better power button maybe heh. I have the box but cannot find email conformation of purchace nor remember WHERE i got it (to much Herb).

Has anyone ever have to "retail-return" or RMA an asus rtr? Will the CFW void the warrantee? If RMA is an option is there a time limit? The thing cant be over a year old. Retail return seems unlikely as i can find no proof of where it was purchased... i THiNK it was May of 2013 or 2014?

I'll quit babbling now. Thanks for any useful advice that doesn't involve tape or trying to personally replace that power-button.

Thanks,
RiNGDiNG

Just was wondering if i can "slap/flash/load" the 378.56_2 trx on top of my current 378.55 without needing to do any Factory reset (before or after).
Yes, you can! I did it also without any problems (on both of my routers - see footer)!

Also the broken power button has happened to many N66 owners

@jim769 THANK YOU!!!!! I knew it couldn't be a random fluke. If i can somehow reach (a HUMAN) customer support rep. @ ASUS i'll link them to that thread and ask for an RMA at least. That was sooo bugging me. Spontaneous power button breakage. Whodathunkit?

It LiTERALLY "broke" while i was watching a movie on my raspberry pi 2 (OSMC/Kodi kodi.tv if anyone cares) on my 'big screen" 2 Floors away. I tried the YouTube addon for osmc/kodi when the movie stopped and it said "Daily Limit Exceeded"... i thought i had an electric "poltergeist" at that point.

I dont think i ever even USED ANY "button" on the thing (and i set the WPS button to toggle radio as WPS blows). Doing IT work we tell people to just unplug their routers if they cant get public IP or hit a rtr's WebUI; i do the same heh. So it dint break from "button abuse/overuse" i knew that much.

Actually looked for a thread about "Spontaneous power button breakage" on here but didn't see it so again, thank you for your reply, @jim769 -- it's good to know i didn't get the ONLY "rotten-egg" from the Chicken (ASUS N66 metaphor? hehe).

Thanks again, friendly people.
RiNGDiNG