What's new

380.57 and 378.56_2 breaking 2.4G WLAN on RT-AC68?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Todd Ritchie

New Around Here
I had an issue the last few weeks with my 2.4G band. On a whim, I rolled back to my previous version of code (378.56_2) with no success (clients unable to connect at all). I then rolled back further to 378.55 and bang, 2.4G band works fine.

Any ideas as to what broke in the newer code (or am I missing a knob that needs tweaking in the newer code)?

Did you "factory to default reset " when you tried 380.57?
380.57 and 378.56_2 have diffrents Driver Version

I did not. I'll try after the weekend to roll to new code and do a factory reset.. if I try tonight my son will likely bash me to a bloody pulp with his xbox.

My 2.4Ghz band wifi seems completely broken. Nothing at all can connect to it. 5Ghz works fine.

I was on 380.57, just downgraded to 380.56_2 but it doesn't seem to have helped. Should a factory reset help?

I've now downgraded to 378.55 and did a factory reset. Still can't get anything out of 2.4Ghz. I don't know what to do now!

Help anyone?!

It is in access point mode if that helps.

It is in access point mode if that helps.

Put it in Router Mode and make sure you reset to factory defaults again without loading a saved config file.

I only want it as an access point though? I assume even if it works fine in router mode, putting it back in access point mode will break it again?

I only want it as an access point though? I assume even if it works fine in router mode, putting it back in access point mode will break it again?

After you confirm it working in Router mode (check the options to see that the radio is enabled, etc.), you can then switch to the mode you want.

Tried it in router mode, even after restoring default settings. I can now see the 2.4Ghz network, and sometimes connect, but it's uselessly slow. On the 5Ghz band I get the full 40Mbps, on the 2.4Ghz I get less than 0.1Mbps.

Is there anything else I can try? I might just try and get the router returned as faulty but can there even be a hardware reason for the 5Ghz working but not the 2.4Ghz?

I'm now on the latest alpha build of merlin. Nothing has helped. This router was supposed to be the easy part! I bought an Edgerouter Lite along with it and that was a breeze to set up but this has been hell! It's supposed to be the other way round! Aaaargh!

Tried it in router mode, even after restoring default settings. I can now see the 2.4Ghz network, and sometimes connect, but it's uselessly slow. On the 5Ghz band I get the full 40Mbps, on the 2.4Ghz I get less than 0.1Mbps.

Is there anything else I can try? I might just try and get the router returned as faulty but can there even be a hardware reason for the 5Ghz working but not the 2.4Ghz?

I'm now on the latest alpha build of merlin. Nothing has helped. This router was supposed to be the easy part! I bought an Edgerouter Lite along with it and that was a breeze to set up but this has been hell! It's supposed to be the other way round! Aaaargh!

Congrats, you now know it is a hardware issue. The 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios operate independently and one can be broken without affecting the other.

I would flash it to the stock Asus firmware, do a reset to factory defaults once more (to clear any of your user data) and return it for another one.