What's new

380.65_2 - Major samba share issues (NTFS)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alystair

New Around Here
My entire system log keeps getting flooded with these errors:
Code:
Feb 25 17:11:46 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 4705): ntfs_mft_record_alloc(): Failed to extend mft data allocation.
Feb 25 17:11:46 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 4705): ntfs_create_helper(): Failed to allocate a new on-disk inode (error 95).
Feb 25 17:11:46 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 4705): ntfs_create_helper(): Failed (error 95).
Feb 25 17:11:46 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 4705): ntfs_mft_data_extend_allocation_nolock(): Not enough space in this mft record to accommodate extended mft data attribute extent.  Cannot handle this yet.
Feb 25 17:11:46 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 4705): ntfs_mft_record_alloc(): Failed to extend mft data allocation.
Feb 25 17:11:46 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 4705): ntfs_create_helper(): Failed to allocate a new on-disk inode (error 95).
Feb 25 17:11:46 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 4705): ntfs_create_helper(): Failed (error 95).
Feb 25 17:11:46 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 4705): ntfs_mft_data_extend_allocation_nolock(): Not enough space in this mft record to accommodate extended mft data attribute extent.  Cannot handle this yet.
Feb 25 17:11:51 kernel: __ntfs_error: 701 callbacks suppressed

There's still at least 1tb of free diskspace, 4tb HDD - I've already attempted using UltraDefrag's "optimize MFT" on the disk by connecting it directly to my machine.. at a loss here. Can I no longer use this drive as a share anymore? This also happened on original firmware :(

Sounds like a technical limitation of the Tuxera NTFS driver. Unfortunately, only Tuxera would know, as this is a closed source component. Your only recourse at this point is probably to move to a Linux native FS like ext3. The limitation probably has to do with the number of files, not the disk space.

This is the kind of issues you can expect since the NTFS driver implementation has to be reverse-engineered - Microsoft does not provide any official documentation or source code for their filesystem.

Another potential alternative might be to create two separate partitions, to reduce the amount of MFT entries per partition.

Is there a way to find out if Asus simply hasn't updated to the latest version of Tuxera's driver that might have corrected this issue?

Is there a way to find out if Asus simply hasn't updated to the latest version of Tuxera's driver that might have corrected this issue?

The driver is a commercial product from Tuxera, so I have no idea what's the latest version available from them - only Asus has access to them. The current version used by Asus is 3015.1.29.16.