What's new

[380.68 RT-AC66] Dnsmasq & CNAME

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Digital Noise

Occasional Visitor
I fold. I need some help.

I'm trying to configure a CNAME on my router to use with Nginx on my home server, so that, depending on which name is used to access it, Nginx will direct to a different site.

I've got this entry in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add

cname=multicraft,olympus

Whereas multicraft is the additional name I want to be associated with the actual hostname of olympus.

I restarted the dnsmasq service on the router and confirmed that that entry appears in the dnsmasq.conf on the router, plus nslookup on the router verifies that it's associated correctly.

However, none of the other machines on my network are seeing that entry via nslookup.

I've flushed the DNS cache on all of them, even physically rebooted them - no go.

Is there something I'm missing? So far as I can tell, there's no TTL value for entries in dnsmasq, so the typical trick of setting that to a low value doesn't work.

Plus, since the default DNS server for all of my clients is the router, shouldn't it immediately pick up the change?

Am I missing something obvious?

Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

Apparently when you use nslookup directly on the router, it ignores the local= directive in dnsmasq.conf and resolves the record regardless.

But not on the clients.

My mistake was in configuring cname=multicraft,olympus instead of cname=multicraft.local.domain,olympus.local.domain.

Have you tried this, where IP address is the IP Nginx is listening on:
Code:
address=/olympus/<IP address>