What's new

380.70.0 update cripples my routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RHK22463

New Around Here
I had been running 380.70.0 on both my RT-AC3200 and RT-AC68U for some days and all of a sudden I get notification today that there is an update. Installed the update from Merlin's downloadsite, weird that it's the same version but hey... and then it said to manually reboot my RT-AC3200. Big fail ... as it never came up again, seems like the switch in there is working but no response on the HTTP(S) login and no AP/Routing services available. Before that I had updated my RT-AC68U and that seemed to work... although I would find out later that all my WIFI connections had dropped and SSIDs had disappeared. WIFI radio was up and running , SSIDs seemed configured fine and being broadcasted but no connections could be made as they weren't advertised. So I ended up with 2 router/AP being crippled after this FW update.
The 68U still responded and I was able to move to FW version 380.69.0 but the AC3200 was trashed. Took me ages to get it into recovery mode and re-install the old FW version.
The previous 380.70.0 (downloaded few weeks ago) was working well, the current one seems to cripple my Asus wireless devices. Currently running 384.3_0 on one of them and that one seems to be working well so far.
It keeps displaying that there is an update but that message will be ignored indefinitely in order to stay out of trouble.

Merlin is at version 384.4 which is why you are told there is an update , you are several versions behind.

Make sure you read the release notes !

Merlin is at version 384.4 which is why you are told there is an update , you are several versions behind.

Make sure you read the release notes !

The latest addition on SourceForge download site for my router actually is 380.70.0 and the file with most recent modification date is on top which made me pick the top listed.
Just make sure you don't (re-)post old FW I'd say. Needless to say neither version should cripple the router and if it does... take it offline.
I'm running 384.4_2 now btw

I didn't repost old firmwares. 380.xx and 384.xx were developed in parallel, based on different code bases. This has been documented in lots of places, including the README and the Changelog that are in the zip file itself.