What's new

382.2_beta2 autofill login page issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zonkd

Very Senior Member
Bug: router login page now doesn't accept login credentials if auto-filled by 1Password password manager,extensions for iOS and Mac Safari/Firefox.

Cause: Updated my AC68U to 382.2_beta2 and immediately encountered this problem.

Any other 1Password users out there having this problem??

I’ll ask 1Password support if they can look into it.

Attachments

• img.png
    img.png
    32 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:
nope. I only type pw by hand. I figure its a small price to pay for making it impossible for someone to steal my password from the password app.

Agreed, a router login is one of the places I would never use an auto-login. Discussion forums, sites like that, no problem, but never where security is a primary concern.

Agreed, a router login is one of the places I would never use an auto-login. Discussion forums, sites like that, no problem, but never where security is a primary concern.
What's wrong with having a password manager auto-fill? That's what they do. A sufficiently long complex password sucks to have to type in over and over. I hate logins that don't allow cut and paste.

What's wrong with having a password manager auto-fill? That's what they do. A sufficiently long complex password sucks to have to type in over and over. I hate logins that don't allow cut and paste.
For a router, having a browser auto-fill your login means anyone who sits at your computer or who has control of your desktop from an off-site location has control over your whole network. That's not a good thing.

What do you mean by "that's what they do"?

Do you use auto-fill with your bank site, or credit card sites? I hope not.

I have no issues with Lastpass auto-login on my RT-AC86U installed with Merlin 382.2_beta2 or unofficial beta3. Yes I use autologin. I even have autologin for my bank and credit card sites. (gasp!) But I have Lastpass setup to logout after 5 minutes of inactivity and have made it a habit of logging out of the Lastpass extension when I walk away from the computer. I think it's more secure to use a password manager that uses long random passwords for secure sites. I only have to remember 1 long complex password. Of course I also have two factor authentication turned on for Lastpass and every site that uses it.

Please, let's not get into an argument over which is more secure. I know many people don't believe password managers are secure and either don't use them or don't use them for finance sites. Some do use a password manager but only a local one and would never use autologin. There are very valid reasons for each choice. Everyone has their own opinion and I doubt we'll change anyone's mind by arguing about it here.

RT-AC86U - Merlin 382.2_beta3 (unofficial)

With Firefox 57.0.4 and Roboform I have no issue logging into the router. I don't have it set to auto-login, I manually click the Asus Router button on the Roboform Menu to fill in the information. I'm the only one here and don't have any remote access options, so.

Might try re-saving the login credentials.

Works fine with the auto-fill applets that I use it. Not gonna devote time to try to accommodate every form filling applet out there, sorry...

For a router, having a browser auto-fill your login means anyone who sits at your computer or who has control of your desktop from an off-site location has control over your whole network. That's not a good thing.

What do you mean by "that's what they do"?

Do you use auto-fill with your bank site, or credit card sites? I hope not.

I think we're talking about different things. I was thinking something like "lastpass", I now think you're talking about the browser remembering the entry. We are in agreement on the browser thing- I personally don't use the browser password manager.

The thing I was grumbling about are the password fields that do not allow cut and paste. I DO use a password manager that requires me to type in a password for the tool - then I cut and paste passwords from that into the login boxes.

Have a great day!
/dedd

I think we're talking about different things. I was thinking something like "lastpass", I now think you're talking about the browser remembering the entry. We are in agreement on the browser thing- I personally don't use the browser password manager.

The thing I was grumbling about are the password fields that do not allow cut and paste. I DO use a password manager that requires me to type in a password for the tool - then I cut and paste passwords from that into the login boxes.

Have a great day!
/dedd
Yes, I was thinking of a browser generated auto-fill, not a password manager. I use LastPass myself although I don't have it save my router GUI login.

Not being able to C&P can be aggravating, I think Microsoft is one that doesn't allow it. It's so rare when I need to login to my MS account I'm often forgetting the password and when they send you the temp PW you can't C&P it into the field, it has to be manually inputted.

Ah this may the cause. I had issues with my Lastpass autologin on my Netgear R7000 using Asus Merlin-xvortex. It turned out the password was too long. I cut and pasted it from my generated password form and Merlin-xvortex truncated it, so when it was auto-filled it would fail. Once I changed the password to 16 characters it fixed the issue. Never had the issue on my RT-AC86U because I started with a 16 character password. Hmm, 16 characters is not too secure. Think I'll go back to my ASUS Merlin web and try a longer one!

Hmm, 16 characters is not too secure

If you don't trust your own LAN with a 16-characters paasword (which is plenty long BTW), then you'll need to look at your network's security.

Hmm, guess I was being a little too cautions ;). It would only take 493865 years to break a 16 character password, by a supercomputer! I'm used to creating the max password length with Lastpass never looked at how long it would take to break different length passwords. You're right 16 is plenty long!

I have no issues with Lastpass ......I think it's more secure to use a password manager that uses long random passwords for secure sites. .....

RT-AC86U - Merlin 382.2_beta3 (unofficial)

it only takes one unlucky issue to compromise ALL your passwords stored in a online password manager ... Yikes... Here is a recommendation to disable Lastpass password manager plugins... http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...curity-problem-password-manager-a7658806.html

Here is a recent list of password manager vulnerabilities that pretty well confirms that if its online its at risk https://thehackernews.com/2017/02/password-manager-apps.html

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!