What's new

[384.13] AX88U and AC5300: Can't complete AIMESH setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

monakh

Regular Contributor
Hello all,

I am having a heck of a time trying to set up the AX88 as the main router and my old but faithful AC5300 as the AIMESH node. The AX88U is running the latest Merlin while the AC5300 was switched from Merlin 384.13 to the latest Asus firmware (I believe that's recommended by Merlin).

I have tried OE's recommendations but can't seem to get this going. It goes up to 60% slowly but then snaps to a 100% right before giving the generic failure message. Any help is appreciated. Been running Merlin since the very early days. This is my 7th or 8th Asus router. TIA.

Hello all,

I am having a heck of a time trying to set up the AX88 as the main router and my old but faithful AC5300 as the AIMESH node. The AX88U is running the latest Merlin while the AC5300 was switched from Merlin 384.13 to the latest Asus firmware (I believe that's recommended by Merlin).

I have tried OE's recommendations but can't seem to get this going. It goes up to 60% slowly but then snaps to a 100% right before giving the generic failure message. Any help is appreciated. Been running Merlin since the very early days. This is my 7th or 8th Asus router. TIA.

This combo works, I tested it myself last week!
I am using a RT-AX88U (main router, with Merlin 384.13 installed).

Last week a colleague from work borrowed me his AC5300 (latest stock firmware) and I installed it as an AiMesh node... Installation went fine and it worked as intended...

So it is possible...

A note in case you get it to work:
If you are going to connect both units with a cable, don't expect to have both 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 radios available. Only the first 5 GHz radio is available. The 2nd radio is not used (this is the WIFI 'backhaul').

I guess there is an issue on my side. Yes, the 2nd 5 GHz channel is used for the backhaul. Just as well,because it doesn't get used much otherwise.

Thanks for letting me know this works on your end. I started with both routers from scratch (reset both to factory settings) so not sure what the problem is.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

I finally gave up and just used the AC5300 as a Repeater. The link rate isn't bad at around 1462.5 Mbps and it's pretty steady. The old repeater was usually around ~1000 Mbps (give or take 100). The best thing is that the wireless backhaul is through the secondary WiFi radio so it frees up the original 5G radio to serve the clients.

I'm in what looks like the same situation.
I am getting the exact same symptoms, except I am using a RT-AC86U as the main router, and RT-AC68U as the AINode.

The 86U is using the 384.13 firmware, and the 68U has just been updated to 3.0.0.4.384.81049.

I note that the the 3.0.0.4.384.81049 firmware lists some AIMesh stability changes. Has this broken compatibility with the 384.13 Merlin firmware?

I don't think so because we have an example above that works fine.

I don't think so because we have an example above that works fine.
The report was from last week though, and the node firmware I am using is from 3 days ago. It's it confirmed that the successful test was using the very latest update?

Yes.

Well, I rolled the node back to 384.45717 which was the previous firmware, and gave the main router a reboot as well.

I successfully connected the 68U as a AIMesh node, but the 86U is now responding very erratically. The main router now has very high CPU usage, and local pings are in the order of 2000-3000ms. I can still access the Internet though.

Rebooting the 86U and turning off the 68U returns me to a normal working state.

Something is definitely not working the way it should.

you can also try to use official firmware, setup aimesh then update to merlin

I'm in what looks like the same situation.
I am getting the exact same symptoms, except I am using a RT-AC86U as the main router, and RT-AC68U as the AINode.

The 86U is using the 384.13 firmware, and the 68U has just been updated to 3.0.0.4.384.81049.

I note that the the 3.0.0.4.384.81049 firmware lists some AIMesh stability changes. Has this broken compatibility with the 384.13 Merlin firmware?

If your statement above in bold is correct - then that's your problem.
Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81049 was released on 2019/09/05 for the 86U not the 68U !!
As far as I can tell - the latest Asus Firmware for the 68U is Version 3.0.0.4.384_80766 and was released on 2019/07/25.

I have AiMesh running flawlessly on my RT-AC86U on Merlin 384.13 with my RT-AC5300 running Asus stock Version 3.0.0.4.384.45717.

@monak - for your info ... I found that the only way to get the AC5300 set up as an AiMesh node was to have it less than 2 metres away from the 86U in AiMesh Router mode without an ethernet cable connected between the two. At a greater distance apart [say 3 metres] it would begin the process after discovering the AC5300 as a candidate- but end in failure.
After successful setup - move the AC5300 to its required permanent position and connect an Ethernet cable as backhaul for best performance.

Thanks for the tip but I was trying this at about a meter away and unfortunately it just didn't work. Who knows. It could be anything at this point.

Hello all,

Are the routers from the same region. I believe that was a limitation earlier. I have a Chinese version of the 86u and am thinking of buying another one as a node. I wonder if the US version will pair with the chinese version as a node.

All same region. North America.

Ok, turns out I am just a numpty.

When I tested again tonight, I noticed I was getting a lot of network loop spam in the 86u's log.
I unplugged the Ethernet backhaul link, and the router stabilised.

It was only then that I realised that the Ethernet cable is supposed to go in the node's WAN port. *facepalm*

Rectified that and all is now well. I have updated the 68U node to 3.0.0.4.384.81049 and it is all working properly.

I tried several scenarios with one AX88U and two AC5300's. My experience is to configure the AC5300 as the router and use your AX88U as a Mesh node. Always do a full clean install of every device and flush the NVRAM before starting the configuration.

Strange - if you click the link for Bios and Firmware on that page you get Version 3.0.0.4.384.45717 -
However - if you select Operating System "Others" without clicking on the above you do indeed get Version 3.0.0.4.384.81049 ???

I stand corrected ... but it seems Version 3.0.0.4.384.81049 has been pulled from some of the other models!

Strange - if you click the link for Bios and Firmware on that page you get Version 3.0.0.4.384.45717 -
However - if you select Operating System "Others" without clicking on the above you do indeed get Version 3.0.0.4.384.81049 ???

I stand corrected ... but it seems Version 3.0.0.4.384.81049 has been pulled from some of the other models!
Interesting indeed. It was showing up under the BIOS section last night when I posted that link. Something has changed clearly.