What's new

384.13 Static Address DHCP- Failed To Write File

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GHammer

Very Senior Member
I added a device today and this entry appeared in the log.
Code:
Sep  3 08:43:47 dnsmasq-dhcp[25362]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 12s)

NVRAM usage 65718 / 131072 bytes
JFFS 2.46 / 48.00 MB

This is the 19th device assigned a static IP.

I added a device today and this entry appeared in the log.
Code:
Sep  3 08:43:47 dnsmasq-dhcp[25362]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 12s)

NVRAM usage 65718 / 131072 bytes
JFFS 2.46 / 48.00 MB

This is the 19th device assigned a static IP.
On the 86U there are a finite amount of characters allowed for addressing and host naming. If you run out of characters this sort of thing can happen. I forget how to check this stat maybe someone else can chime in here.

Hmmm, I know that some work has been done on DHCP.

Note for developers, the dhcp_staticlist format was changed to revert back to the same format as stock firmware (for AiMesh compatibility). The hostname field was moved to a separate variable, dhcp_hostnames. Note that this variable will be stored in a jffs file on the RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U due to limitations on variable length for their HND platform. That means that a backed up config file will not restore these hostnames when restored (but using a JFFS backup will).

I run nothing on the router. I see that others have as high as 43 DHCP devices, though unclear if they are static.

I see that @Xentrk was doing something with DHCP on the HND platform.
I knew that there is a finite length for the names of DHCP devices. Could be that I'll have to resort to some other method of entering them.

Hmmm, I know that some work has been done on DHCP.

I run nothing on the router. I see that others have as high as 43 DHCP devices, though unclear if they are static.

I see that @Xentrk was doing something with DHCP on the HND platform.
I knew that there is a finite length for the names of DHCP devices. Could be that I'll have to resort to some other method of entering them.
I already have the code written as part of the x3mRouting project. I need to update my dhcpstaticlist.sh utility script for the change though. Give me a few days as I’m traveling.

Be warned that the dhcp_staticlist format will change again in the near future, as Asus added a new field to it (and that change started to appear in recent public releases).

That was one of the reasons that made me revert back to the stock firmware layout for that parameter, to avoid a conflict between our two formats.

Anyway, the OP problem was caused by lack of RAM, it has nothing to do with nvram or the dhcp_staticlist layout.

Anyway, the OP problem was caused by lack of RAM, it has nothing to do with nvram or the dhcp_staticlist layout.

Lack of RAM, from? As I said, I don't run any scripts, VPN, etc. Just two port forwards and the static DHCP list, now at 19 entries.

The odd thing is, I just rebooted the router and the static DHCP entry is present.
So, that error, while it seems to indicate a failure, isn't.

It does say it will retry in 12 seconds. So it must have succeeded eventually.
Code:
Sep 3 08:43:47 dnsmasq-dhcp[25362]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 12s)

The odd thing is, I just rebooted the router and the static DHCP entry is present.
You are talking about two different things, the dnsmasq lease file (/var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases) and the dhcp_staticlist variable stored in nvram.

You are talking about two different things, the dnsmasq lease file (/var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases) and the dhcp_staticlist variable stored in nvram.

That is when I saw the error, after creating a new static DHCP entry. It wasn't a random error.

Close to being done with the update to the dhcpstaticlist.sh script for the changes made in the 384.13 release

Code:
Use this utility to save or restore dhcp_staticlist and dhcp_hostnames nvram values

[1] - Save nvram dhcp_staticlist and dhcp_hostnames to /opt/tmp/
[2] - Restore nvram dhcp_staticlist and dhcp_hostnames from /opt/tmp/
[3] - Preview DHCP Static List in dnsmasq format
[4] - Append DHCP Static List to dnsmasq.conf.add & Disable DHCP Manual Assignment
[5] - Disable DHCP Manual Assignment
[6] - Enable DHCP Manual Assignment
[7] - Backup nvram dhcp_staticlist and dhcp_hostnames to /opt/tmp/ and clear nvram values
[8] - Display character size of dhcp_staticlist (2999 is the limit)
[e] - Exit

==>

Close to being done with the update to the dhcpstaticlist.sh script for the changes made in the 384.13 release

Looking forward to it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!