What's new

(384.17) Weird AImesh behaviour.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cyanix

Occasional Visitor
Greetings.
I have two routers:
-Rt-ax88 (master)
-Rt-ac86 (node)

Both are running Merlin firmware 384.17.

Is it normal that when the rt86 is connected through ethernet (wired) to my 88, a 5ghz or 2ghz (totally random) wireless connection shows the MAC address of my node in my wireless log ?
Sometimes both 2ghz and 5Ghz are showing the MAC address of my rt86...how comes ?

Thank you for your input.

AiMesh (at least with the current "1.0" version, version 2.0 coming soon-ish), seems to check backhaul connectivity through the wireless connection even with an Ethernet cable connected and the setting in the GUI set to "wired connection preferred". That's why you see that wireless connection appear in the logs.

Makes perfect sense, even if there's no need for wireless checks since it's already connected through cable :(
Thank you for your answer.

I'm not sure that what you are seeing is due to the wireless check described above. My config is in my signature but I do not see that. I have connection priority set to wired for the mesh node and I only see my roomba in the wireless log (assoc and disassoc I'm sure since while it's connected to my network, it's blocked from WAN access).

I'm not sure that what you are seeing is due to the wireless check described above. My config is in my signature but I do not see that. I have connection priority set to wired for the mesh node and I only see my roomba in the wireless log (assoc and disassoc I'm sure since while it's connected to my network, it's blocked from WAN access).
My connection priority is set to wired as well. I've found wireless AIMESH to be pretty much unusable due to the speed drop, even over short distances.
As i said, it's totally random. node (rt86) MAC could appear either in 2.4Ghz log, 5Ghz log, BOTH ( ! ) or neither. We use different nodes though. I have the rt86 aud yours is RT-AX58.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!