1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

384.5 - ac5300 - Redirect Internet traffic/Policy Rules bug?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Jared, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jared

Jared New Around Here

All, sorry if this has been addressed or answered but I just tried Merlin because VPN (vyprVPN) speeds were trash (20Mbps of 130 possible dl). Merlin rocks, speed is average 40Mbps now...sweet. So, problem is the feature of Redirect Internet traffic = Policy Rules of Policy Rules (strict) seems to bypass the vpn by default. Am I missing something? Shouldn't I be able to simply state which device (i.e. roku) I want to bypass?

Cheers,
    J

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

The default policy is to NOT use the VPN. You must define rules as to which devices you want to route through the tunnel.

4. Jared

Jared New Around Here

ok, thanks. I'll just do a subnet to catch everything and then WAN as needed. I expect then it must process WAN first. ...? Cheers!

5. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

WAN rules have the highest priority, yes. So you can create WAN exceptions inside a VPN-routed subnet, yes.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!