What's new

386.1_2 Amcrest Cameras won't keep IP address Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deathbyburk

Occasional Visitor
So I have an AX88u and I did a factory reset and the IP pool defaulted to 192.168.50.1 which was weird but I adjusted to my normal range and now my POE cameras wont stay connected? They just stop showing up in the IP pool of the router and I lose the ability to ping them. They are different cameras bought at different time and 1 is newer. I'll explain what makes me think (more like I am positive) router.

1. Timing is perfect with the reset
2. Used a separate POE injector and same thing
3. They are in perfect unison as to when they lose their IP

I have tried to reboot router, smart switch, flash the cameras firmware, change ip address of cameras.

Next things to try.

1. Reflash Router
2. Hard reset cameras outside with a ladder

Is there any log I cam check to see if the router is blocking my cameras from keeping/having an IP? Thank you so much for your time and thoughts.

also they show up in ip pool for a bit but drop over and over but the ability to ping once they go down does not come back.. It feels like something is blocking them every time they try to get an ip

So I have an AX88u and I did a factory reset and the IP pool defaulted to 192.168.50.1 which was weird but I adjusted to my normal range and now my POE cameras wont stay connected? They just stop showing up in the IP pool of the router and I lose the ability to ping them. They are different cameras bought at different time and 1 is newer. I'll explain what makes me think (more like I am positive) router.

1. Timing is perfect with the reset
2. Used a separate POE injector and same thing
3. They are in perfect unison as to when they lose their IP

I have tried to reboot router, smart switch, flash the cameras firmware, change ip address of cameras.

Next things to try.

1. Reflash Router
2. Hard reset cameras outside with a ladder

Is there any log I cam check to see if the router is blocking my cameras from keeping/having an IP? Thank you so much for your time and thoughts.
I don't know about your cameras, but, The factory default Lan IP of my RT-AC86U is 192.168.50.1. When I click Factory Restore, there is a message that states it will set all items to defaults and set IP to 192.168.50.1. My guess is that the AX88u is the same. Why not set the IP to what you want after the factory reset?

I have 9 Amcrest Poe cameras + NVR and run them with AX86U and have no issue so far. My LAN is 192.168.2.1 and I have them paired with DHCP. Do you have DHCP controling IPs? or you set them static in camera's software? By any change you have two DHCPs in your Lan? Example smart switch has its own DHCP server?
You can also set short DHCP Lease time in LAN settings and check is system logs if cameras try to renew this ip

Last edited:
So I decided a week ago reset my router (thinking high ram usage may go down). After the reset my IP POE cameras won't keep an IP and I am unable to ping them. I am very savvy with networking and it is DEF not the stupid stuff (ip conflict, bad poe, etc..). The weird thing is both of my cameras come down at the EXACT same time. They are 2 different cameras (same model but 1 is like 60 days old). I have removed everything from the network and isolated the cameras to my switch (smart netgear w/ nothing in logs) and the router at this point.

I can't even list all the things I have tried but the fact they both lose network connectivity at the EXACT same time, points to something blocking them from network. Even if i power cycle them at different times, disconnect at same time. I turned off Diversion and Skynet to try to really isolate the issue to 386.1_2. Please, any thinking outside of the box thoughts?

Tried:
*HARD reset cameras, switch, nas that backs them up
*different ips, non static
*separate POE injectors
*firmware down and upgrades on all devices (except router)
*formatted jffs partition when I did a soft reset
*every camera setting I can think of (never had a problem prior though)

What I have left:
*trying at the moment using only 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4 in the cameras (seems stable atm but only been a few hours)
*hard reset router (and try old firmware) <- such a PIA as I host several servers for my friends
*build a separate network with a different router

Help :)

Are you using a VPN? My arlo cams do not work via VPN. I have to use selective routing via client/Merlin.

So I decided a week ago reset my router (thinking high ram usage may go down). After the reset my IP POE cameras won't keep an IP and I am unable to ping them. I am very savvy with networking and it is DEF not the stupid stuff (ip conflict, bad poe, etc..). The weird thing is both of my cameras come down at the EXACT same time. They are 2 different cameras (same model but 1 is like 60 days old). I have removed everything from the network and isolated the cameras to my switch (smart netgear w/ nothing in logs) and the router at this point.

I can't even list all the things I have tried but the fact they both lose network connectivity at the EXACT same time, points to something blocking them from network. Even if i power cycle them at different times, disconnect at same time. I turned off Diversion and Skynet to try to really isolate the issue to 386.1_2. Please, any thinking outside of the box thoughts?

Tried:
*HARD reset cameras, switch, nas that backs them up
*different ips, non static
*separate POE injectors
*firmware down and upgrades on all devices (except router)
*formatted jffs partition when I did a soft reset
*every camera setting I can think of (never had a problem prior though)

What I have left:
*trying at the moment using only 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4 in the cameras (seems stable atm but only been a few hours)
*hard reset router (and try old firmware) <- such a PIA as I host several servers for my friends
*build a separate network with a different router

Help :)
Turn off AIProtection (may need to reboot and let network settle for an hour or may not)

LOVE the thinking. But AI Protection is off (unless more hidden option deeper in UI) or a bug, I do use a VPN but not at the router lever :( and it is not on regardless. I read AI Protection can be an issue for people so i did try to turn it on at one point and then back off to make sure.

Do you still have the issue If you set static IPs on the cameras?
Are you pinging them by IP or DNS name?
Is it possible that something else on your network is acting as a DHCP server?
Can you ping them from the router?
Do they appear in the DHCP client list on your router?
Do they appear in the router's ARP table?

Do you still have the issue If you set static IPs on the cameras? yes
Are you pinging them by IP or DNS name? ip
Is it possible that something else on your network is acting as a DHCP server? nope modem>router>switch>cameras (router not dhcp capable)
Can you ping them from the router? will try and update but cant from computer and lose connection from phone app
Do they appear in the DHCP client list on your router? no
Do they appear in the router's ARP table? excuse my ignorance but is this in the asus UI? i just educated myself on using linux commands to get this

So the devices are in the ARP table (ssh) but not on the DHCP list in the router, am unable to ping from all in asus ui.... thoughts?

1614297020749.png

I made that white box obviously but the device does show up in DHCP. This is right after doing a hard reboot. I still cant ping it tho. The other camera is there also and same thing

Cameras are running right now on ports 192.168.1.15 and 192.168.1.161. Is it normal not to be listed in here? Issue still happening but looking for anything to go off of? Scratch that static addresses aren't listed in this... sigh

1614303697896.png

It looks like you are setting static ip which is configured in Camera's software. Could you Manually Assigned IP in DHCP server of the router? and inside cameras set to get IP from DHCP so IP is controller by the router. I understand that you cant ping them but also the cameras stop working when you cant ping? Just asking because it is possible to kill ping not killing devices.

After doing that you would need to restart camera

Last edited:
Not sure if you've looked at this, but these cameras all 'phone home' to the far-east. I have some that I blocked early on from having internet access. After a day or so, they would quit working, until I gave them internet access again. So I then started putting them on a guest network without local network access. Works better, but still hit and miss. I'm running Skynet and Diversion, and blocking lots of sites and wholly blocking CN. Again, hit.miss.

Not sure if you've looked at this, but these cameras all 'phone home' to the far-east. I have some that I blocked early on from having internet access. After a day or so, they would quit working, until I gave them internet access again. So I then started putting them on a guest network without local network access. Works better, but still hit and miss. I'm running Skynet and Diversion, and blocking lots of sites and wholly blocking CN. Again, hit.miss.

I disabled that call home in routers firewall and they are still working fine.

Just to show you what really makes me question is the exact shutoff time. Cameras both have different settings and were rebooted at different times. Look how PERFECT they turn off. They white is when they go off.. it is to the millisecond almost
1614344176311.png

I do Ubiquiti deployments for a living so my network knowledge is high (not wasting your time promise). Work does not have any extra routers atm to let me borrow. I'm pretty convinced it is a 386.1_2 issue but cameras are 2 stories up so rigging a whole new network not as easy at home. I have an old ac3100 in basement im gonna bring up this weekend and try and set up a COMPLETE new network.

For the camera phone home idea. Can I just DMZ one of them to see if that makes a difference?

I tried to set ip using the router and tried not block and non block of internet and same issue. Gonna wait for all my nerds to sign off my Valheim server tomorrow and downgrade the firmware. I am convinced the MAC address is being blocked somewhere. Literally the only things these cameras have in common. Tried diff ports/protocols etc.. yet they always shut off at the exact same second. Something in the router has to be shutting them down or something messed up with them calling home but the exact same second tells me an event is causing the shutdown/disconnect/stop talking to network

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!