What's new

386.3_2 on RT-AX86S no bueno

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

catbert

New Around Here
Just got an RT-AX86S router (because it's hard to find the U version at the moment.)
Immediately flashed Merlin's current (RT-AX86U_386.3_2_cferom_pureubi.w) on the router and after reboot the setup dialog was missing the 'add as AIMesh node' option. Thought that was weird so I held down reset button and power to clear the config.
Would not come back up. Tried WPS+power and it still will not come up.
It's stuck with WPS, Eth4 on, and after a few seconds 2.4ghz and 5ghz light up. Power is never lit up. No blinkenlights, just solid LEDs.

Does not offer a DHCP lease, and manually setting an IP on my laptop and pinging 192.168.1.* and 192.168.2.* yields nothing.

I'm now reading that 386.4 Alpha2 officially 'supports' this model but have I really bricked it with the 386.3 firmware?
Anyone have any other ideas for getting it to the firmware restore page?

The IP address of the RT-AX86S router is 192.168.50.1 by default. After resetting to factory settings (WPS + power), I recommend disconnecting the provider's cable, the router will stop restarting cyclically and you can dial 192.168.50.1 several times in the browser's search bar until a blue window for manual configuration of the router appears, in which you can update the firmware by attaching the provider's cable.

The IP address of the RT-AX86S router is 192.168.50.1 by default. After resetting to factory settings (WPS + power), I recommend disconnecting the provider's cable, the router will stop restarting cyclically and you can dial 192.168.50.1 several times in the browser's search bar until a blue window for manual configuration of the router appears, in which you can update the firmware by attaching the provider's cable.

Argh! Yes, that was the issue (it was responding on 50.1.) Thanks so much.
It looks like the current release firmware does not properly support the LEDs on this router; after flashing the 386.4alpha2 firmware the LEDs are acting as they should.

Thanks, I think I'm all good now. Had to directly hang it off of the ports on my main (86U) router to get it detected but it's finally meshed and functioning.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!