What's new

386.4_0 AX58U after factory reset Android devices cannot connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Papabull

New Around Here
RT-AC58U - 386.4_0 installed fine, after reset (not power cycle) now no Android device can connect. I cannot flash the latest Asus firmware (RT-AX58U_3.0.0.4_386_47029-g38ccf74_cferom_puresqubi_combo.w) - it fails. I have downloaded it several times to no different result with any of the files, 7Zip says archive is not corrupt.

I like the Merlin firmware, but I need to get my Android devices back online - the flash back was just an idea to return to stock firmware and see if the problem persists. All the Android devices connect perfectly on other networks.... here they can connect to the network (wired or wireless, my TV is Android) but no internet while any desktop/laptop has no problem and speed (network or internet) is great.

Any ideas on the fail to flash, and/or the Android problem?

Should mention that they connected fine on stock firmware - and Merlin before the reset. Was trying to resolve my router having it's connection to the modem dropped, and just wanted a clean page to start with.

Best to do a restore or hard factory reset then manually configure. Do not use a saved config file! Remove any USB devices before flashing.
I have found that some clients do not be like DFS channels or WPA3.

I have found that some clients do not be like DFS channels or WPA3.
Op: this. Set a fixed channel in the non-DFS range (e.g., 36 or 149); don't use "auto" channel selection. Amazon devices in particular do not do DFS channels at all, and older Android devices oft have trouble.

Got a similar problem on AX86U, Android tablets fail to autoconnect when powered up, just says authentication fails, jump between 2.4/5 frequencies and eventually, get the Connected no internet and then finally starts working.
I did a full reset after the flash and put channels and settings used back to what I used for many prior versions, desktops, laptops, Amazon TV Cubes, Skybox, Apple mobiles and Hive connect without issues.

Did you use GN2 to test a new SSID/password combo (no spaces, no punctuation, no special characters, no smiley faces) to see if they connect then?

SSID/Password all verified, as I mentioned, once I jump between frequencies a couple of times, it just connects too one of them.

It does not matter if my Android devices connect directly to the AX58U or use another AP (I have 2 AC68s that function as access points), they can connect to the lan but not the internet. My Sony TV is Android and it cannot get access to the internet - local lan yes - either wired or wirelessly. No filtering or access restriction (password for wifi of course). ANY computer, laptop, or other device connects.

FWIW It's not 386.4 in general. I had an AC88 and have a AX88 on 386.4 with a mix of android devices, one new, some quite old and they connect to either 5ghz (channel 56, DFS) and 2.4ghz as expected; with WPA2/WPA3 option set (no AImesh).

It does not matter if my Android devices connect directly to the AX58U or use another AP (I have 2 AC68s that function as access points), they can connect to the lan but not the internet. My Sony TV is Android and it cannot get access to the internet - local lan yes - either wired or wirelessly. No filtering or access restriction (password for wifi of course). ANY computer, laptop, or other device connects.
Ok, so if I try to re-flash to stock Asus firmware (RT-AX58U_3.0.0.4_386_47029-g38ccf74_cferom_puresqubi_combo.w) it fails... what version or how do I get to flash back to stock? I'm not unhappy at all with Merlin, but I need to get back to where this was not a problem to see what was different in settings. Connection to router was the problem originally, I would like to get back to where I was before the Android issue arose. What reset/flash method?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!