What's new

386.5_2 and Chromecast

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JAAS666

Occasional Visitor
RT-AC5300 from 386.4_0 to 386.5_2

No chromecast devices could be found. Reverted to 386.4_0 and everything works as intended.
No hard reset after firmware upgrade.(never done one when going from Merlin to Merlin and never had problems before).
I did reboot the router though.

Anyone else seen this?
I'm Ok with being on 4_0 for the time being but would like to let the issue known so it doesn't get buried and forgotten for next releases.

I suggest doing what I do in a case like this. Make a backup of your current config (if you haven't already), upgrade, and reset to factory defaults. THEN test it. If it works normally, then it's likely due to some artifact(s) from the prior settings. But merely doing a dirty upgrade and reporting problems just leaves the issue hanging. Most likely the developer is simply going to tell you to reset to factory defaults anyway, and if all is ok, assume your dirty upgrade is to blame.

I suggest doing what I do in a case like this. Make a backup of your current config (if you haven't already), upgrade, and reset to factory defaults. THEN test it. If it works normally, then it's likely due to some artifact(s) from the prior settings. But merely doing a dirty upgrade and reporting problems just leaves the issue hanging. Most likely the developer is simply going to tell you to reset to factory defaults anyway, and if all is ok, assume your dirty upgrade is to blame.
Yeah you are probably right.

Just wanted to make it clear that I've never done a factory reset when going from Merlin to Merlin and I've never had anything breaking like this
In fact, I went back to 386.4_0 and after the router booted everything started working again.

I might try to do it with a factory reset later tonight, but it's a pain to do it every upgrade when having aimesh nodes.

I'm also having issues after upgrading from RT-AC86U_386.5_1-g8858f16344 to 386.5_2. Chromecast can't find the wifi network.

The router was nuclear reset before I flashed 365.5_1. A week later I flashed 386.5_2 on top of 386.5_1 (dirty flash).

Resets can be painful, but the advice is spot on. If the following are enabled then try disabling to see if it makes any difference.

Airtime Fairness​
Multi-User MIMO​
Explicit Beamforming​
Universal Beamforming​

Also, if you're connecting to 5GHz then try the 2.4GHz segment to see if it makes any difference. I have two specific security cams that will only connect to my 2.4GHz segment, despite others (same model and firmware) connecting to 5GHz with no issues. This predated the recent 386_5_2 update, but thought it was worth a mention.

And why a full reset is generally recommended (at least as a sanity check) is because many settings once toggled on/off, do not get the router back to a good/known state either.

If I've spent more than 15 to 30 minutes trying to track down an issue (and it is still unsolvable), I have already spent more time than it would have taken to simply do a full reset (and without using any saved backup files, and without plugging in a previously used USB drive that had amtm scripts installed, without first formatting it on a PC to NTFS first - then, formatting it once in the router via amtm, properly).

And why a full reset is generally recommended (at least as a sanity check) is because many settings once toggled on/off, do not get the router back to a good/known state either.

If I've spent more than 15 to 30 minutes trying to track down an issue (and it is still unsolvable), I have already spent more time than it would have taken to simply do a full reset (and without using any saved backup files, and without plugging in a previously used USB drive that had amtm scripts installed, without first formatting it on a PC to NTFS first - then, formatting it once in the router via amtm, properly).
Thank you for the suggestion.
After a factory reset, Chromecast is connecting to the network. It's working again.

Thank you for the suggestion.
After a factory reset, Chromecast is connecting to the network. It's working again.

Anyone knows if AImesh nodes will rejoin if I factory reset? I don't think so right?
A couple of them are on hard to reach locations.

Be sure you 'Remove node' from the GUI before you reset. Then, do the reset and re-associate them afterward.

Yeah you are probably right.

Just wanted to make it clear that I've never done a factory reset when going from Merlin to Merlin and I've never had anything breaking like this
In fact, I went back to 386.4_0 and after the router booted everything started working again.

I might try to do it with a factory reset later tonight, but it's a pain to do it every upgrade when having aimesh nodes.

Gee Doctor, I've never had a heart attack before. I can't be having one now...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!