What's new

386.8 - ssh passwordless login not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

markcs

New Around Here
Hi,
I recently updated my RT-AX88U to 386.8. Since then I can not get the ssh login working with authorized keys. I had this working previously.

I've done the usual steps in various different orders:
1. Deleted the key from the GUI​
2. Deleted the key using cmdline using various methods ( nvram set sshd_authkeys='' and nvram unset sshd_authkeys. I've applied those changes with nvram commit)​
3. Checked keys using 'nvram show | grep ssh-' once doing the above​
4. Rebooted the router after clearing the ssh keys and after committing any changes​
5. Setting the keys in the GUI and in the command line​
6. Checking that what I've set in nvram matches what is copied over to /tmp/home/root/.ssh/authorized_keys​

I have not reset the router to factory settings as I don't really want to if I can avoid it.

Nothing works. Does anyone else have this issue or any other steps to resolve would be appreciated.

Okay, I found the issue. In the logs I could see "Exit before auth from <192.168.1.122:47096>: Max auth tries reached - user 'is invalid'"

I have a script which was trying to auto login to the router, but was failing. It was failing because after the upgrade I assume the ssh authorized key was not copied correctly, then the script was trying and failing to login and dropbear blocked the user. I paused the scripts for a while, reset the authorized keys using the "nvram set " method, and now all works.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!