What's new

388.2 on AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No, only AX routers with 388.

In this case you may have to replace your router with something running 388 firmware. WireGuard and VPN Fusion are now available in stock Asuswrt for AX models. You don't even need to run Asuswrt-Merlin for that. The AX hardware equivalent of AC86U is AX86S. If the budget allows - AX86U.

Do you think it will ever be supported?
No. This has been repeatedly asked and repeatedly answered since December 2022. From the Asus-Merlin firmware change log:
388.1 (3-Dec-2022)
- NOTE: This release is only available for AX models.
AC models will remain on the 386_xx release branch.

Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models
388.1 Release notes
This code base is only available for AX models, AC models will stay on the 386.x code base. Asus hasn't added any of these to their End-of-Life list as of now, so that means they will still get updates, just not as frequently. Most of these models being 5-7 years old now, having reduced support isn't unreasonable (as opposed to competitors typically completely dropping ALL support within 2-4 years). On my end, I currently don't plan to drop support for these AC models for the time being, but as with upstream updates, these older models will get less frequent updates from me as well.

I want WireGuard on my good old AC86U
Then as indicated above use the Wireguard add-on. Plenty of discussion on how to setup/use it in the Add-On's subforum. If using add-on scripts is beyond your level of knowledge or comprehension then buy a Wireguard/VPN Fusion (388.x) supported Asus router. See the following link for supported router models: https://routerkb.asuscomm.com/?page_id=9

Depending on where you live several AX 388.x firmware series Asus routers can be purchased for relatively modest prices. If the cost of a new router is too high, then research ways of running Wireguard on other lower cost devices (or on existing NAS, computers, Raspberry Pi's, Docker, etc.).

If the budget allows - AX86U
RT-AX86U is practically End of Life. Few stores (in my country) have it in stock. In addition, the RT-AX86U Pro now has a lower price.
For the OP, RT-AX86S is enough.

Since Asus no longer gives updates for some AX routers, I think marketing will push for EoL for end of production models. There are many new models for sale - Pro, WiFi 6E, WiFi 7 in a few months. EoL ad is a great motivation for users to buy a new one.

What are you talking about?
RT-AX86U yes, but eg. RT-AX56U probably not. For me, it is a signal in which direction the company's activities are going.

I never suggested RT-AX56U model. :rolleyes:

You said RT-AX86U is practically End of Life and this statement is incorrect.

By "practically" I meant that IMHO in not a long time (maybe in a few months) asus may announce End of Life for it. The more so that the similar Pro model is on sale.

Sorry, my English is poor, I may use inappropriate wording.

By "practically" I meant that IMHO in not a long time (maybe in a few months) asus may announce End of Life for it.

Aliens may arrive in few months and burn the Earth. Elon Musk is perhaps throwing rocks in their garden too much.

Aliens may arrive
I agree. But for me, RT-AX86U time is over. While the RT-AX86S ($185) has no alternative at the moment, instead of RT-AX86U, a RT-AX86U Pro ($285) is available at the same price as RT-AX86U ($355) or lower.

Last edited:
RT-AX86U Pro is not available yet in Canada. RT-AX86U and RT-AX86S are readily available everywhere.

If I follow your logic RT-AX86U Pro is perhaps cancelled. This is what I see around here. Nowhere to be found.

RT-AX86U is available in literally a few stores - probably old stock. Not available at distributors. Recently, its price has increased from $290 to $355.
RT-AX86U Pro is available in many stores and at distributors and the price has dropped to $285.

Okay, this is your current local situation. It means little globally. Both of your routers are perhaps EoL in Poland. You need to upgrade.

It means little globally.
Sure, no problem. We'll see in a few or a dozen months whether my predictions will come true :)
You need to upgrade.
I'm a specific customer, it won't work like that ;)
Note that I suggested not to buy AX86U model now. And not suggested to upgrade from AX86U to a newer model. ;)

Since Asus no longer gives updates for some AX routers, I think marketing will push for EoL for end of production models. There are many new models for sale - Pro, WiFi 6E, WiFi 7 in a few months. EoL ad is a great motivation for users to buy a new one.
Officially there are currently (as of this post) no RT-AX series routers that are listed as End of Life by Asus.
Asus End-of-life product list

Just because a router is not available at a local store in one's area doesn't mean it's end of life or end of support.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!