What's new

389.60_0 suddenly prompting QIS to connecting devices and not routing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vibroverbus

Regular Contributor
Router was down today after the overnight reboot... Discovered when I found clients - both Win10 and iOS devices - getting redirected to the "Quick Internet Setup" screen.

Clients were perceiving that a network login was required, so on the iOS devices the behavior was that "pre-wifi-connect" screen that you see before fully adding the wifi adapter and routes, on the Win box a regular browser window was opened to the QIS screen.

On the QIS screen the router then was prompting to Enter New Password for admin (no prompt for old password). I could escape backwards to the manual admin screens without authentication and then manipulate the router surprisingly! Rebooting did not solve, same exact behavior.

After restoring a config file, the password seemed to be back to normal, but still had the odd behavior w/ QIS coming up, and Router was not forwarding traffic across the WAN.

Using the router ping util returned perfect results, so, WAN working fine for the router, but no clients could get through.

Next step, I updated to 384.3_3 and rebooted again, now all seems well.

Very odd. Does this sound like any known bug? The 'network login' taking any device to the set password page (as if the password had been cleared...) and then allowing admin page access was very concerning... My admin username and password are very obscure, and even wifi password fairly long so wouldn't be an easy brute force hack that's for sure, and in that case I'd have expected more significant vandalism...

Sometimes, electrostatic issues can cause the nvram to get corrupted, and routers get reset to factory default.

Also make sure you're not running out of nvram space (check the Tools -> Sysinfo page)

Memory looks good but indeed I didn't check before the reflashigns. Now that you mention it I had some issue with that back in October... used an 'nvram cleanup' script and seemed to help quite a bit. Suspect you're right maybe some 'random' corruption...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online