What's new

3G modem only first time plug works!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

matthew_eli

Hi merlin,

my adventure with 3G modems still continues; i purchased a new Huawei E372 3G modem, supported by my ASUS RT-N66U router, 3.0.0.4.220.18b Merlin build firmware. When I plug for the first time the device in the router, it would be recognized as a 3g usb dongle and this is what I have in the syslog:

Jan 1 00:00:49 kernel: usb 1-1.2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
Jan 1 00:00:49 kernel: usb 1-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Jan 1 00:00:49 kernel: scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Jan 1 00:00:49 kernel: scsi4 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: scsi 3:0:0:0: CD-ROM HUAWEI Mass Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: scsi 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access HUAWEI TF CARD Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: option 1-1.2:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: usb 1-1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: option 1-1.2:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: usb 1-1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: option 1-1.2:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
Jan 1 00:00:51 notify_rc : restart_wan_if 1
Jan 1 00:00:51 stop_wan(): perform DHCP release
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: usb 1-1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: option 1-1.2:1.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: usb 1-1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB3
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: option 1-1.2:1.4: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: usb 1-1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB4
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver option
Jan 1 00:00:51 kernel: drivers/usb/serial/option.c: USB Driver for GSM modems: v0.7.2

and all works perfectly...then I configure the modem, it connects without problems...then, after a while, if I decide to poweroff the router or unplug and then plug back the modem, he USB driver won't recognize it no more! And I cannot connect to 3G network as well!!!

And syslog reports only a part of the previous USB activities:

Jan 1 01:06:06 kernel: usb 1-1.2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
Jan 1 01:06:07 kernel: usb 1-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Jan 1 01:06:07 kernel: scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Jan 1 01:06:07 kernel: scsi4 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Jan 1 01:06:09 kernel: scsi 3:0:0:0: CD-ROM HUAWEI Mass Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Jan 1 01:06:09 kernel: scsi 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5
Jan 1 01:06:09 kernel: scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access HUAWEI TF CARD Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Jan 1 01:06:09 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
Jan 1 01:06:09 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0

Is there a way for fixing this annoying problem that force me, for fixing it, to reset nvram (or reset the router to the factory defaults) each time the router does not recognize anymore the 3G modem and then restore settings?

Please help me!!!

Last edited:
Let me also add a strange thing: if I rebbot the router via the reboot button on the UI or via telent command, the USB key at the next reboot will be recognized without problem...

Can't help you since I don't have a 3G dongle myself. Sorry.

...if I decide to poweroff the router or unplug and then plug back the modem, he USB driver won't recognize it no more! And I cannot connect to 3G network as well!!!

I can confirm this issue regarding the recognition of 3G modem after losing power (I'm using the Huawei E372 modem too). After a loss of power the modem isn't any longer recognized ("no device" is shown on the Network Map page in UI), and I have to reset the router to factory default to get the modem being recognized and working again... Rebooting the router via UI doesn't help in my configuration, but I'm able to restore the last settings when I have saved them before after having resetted to factory default.

Strange, that the USB external drive attached to the second USB port is still recognized after a loss of power, switching ports doesn't have any impact... Seems that only the USB 3G modem (no matter on which port it is attached) is affected by that issue.

I had the same problem when I set the USB modem as primary connection. I can not remember where this is set though. I reinstalled firmware and started from scratch. I didn't tinker with the those settings again. It works fine now.

This is wat a friend of mine told me when I asked about the problem:
My 3G is still setup as a failback, with main WAN being ADSL - even though there is no ADSL connection.

I found that making the 3G as the main (or only WAN source) would sometimes make WAN access unreliable.

Last edited:
Has anyone found a solution to this problem? got the router yesterday, updated to the latest firmware, connected a usb modem, it was detected and connected to the internet..after rebooting the usb modem is no longer detected..the workaround is to restore defaults, which is really annoying (my usb set as a secondary)

I'm still waiting for this fix: I guess is something relatively simple since it should be some missing initialization script regardinf USB interface...but I'm not so expert in this field...hope someone could help us...

I'm still waiting for this fix: I guess is something relatively simple since it should be some missing initialization script regardinf USB interface...but I'm not so expert in this field...hope someone could help us...

Yeah, exactly! I am wondering if the issue has been raised with Asus directly as a bug?

Its great they are actively working to fix some issues!

Description ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.246
Fix:
1. DMZ and HW accelerator coexist issue.
2. Some 3G modem issues
3. Can't reset to default through Software Button when AiCloud is enabled.
4. WPS related issues.
5. VPN dns issue in Android/iOS
6. Guest network cannot get an IP address in AP mode.
7. Buffer overrun problem. Special thanks to Merlin for his contribution.

Modify
1. Add enhanced interference management option for 2.4GHz in Advanced settings->wireless-> Professional
2. Add GRO option in Advanced settings->LAN->Switch control.
Please disable it if there are problems in UPnP and port forwarding.
3. Add firmware version checking in Quick Internet Setup process.
4. Wireless is configurable in media bridge mode
5. Add PIN code error alerting for USB modem
6. WPS button can be configured as wifi on/off button

AiCoud (for more information, please refer to http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/aicloud/index.htm)
1. Modify web user interface.
2. Folder is shareable with shared link.
3. The media files can be previewed when received the share link for folder.
4. Redirect mp3 https share link to MP3 player on IOS device.
5. Fixed the large file renaming problem
6. Fixed some UI issues.

is one of these fixes related to our issue? Did someone test it yet and can confirm this?

Merlin, thanks again firstly: when do you plan to release a new modified version?

Thanks in advance

is one of these fixes related to our issue? Did someone test it yet and can confirm this?

Merlin, thanks again firstly: when do you plan to release a new modified version?

Thanks in advance

No, I'm on the newest firmware, the issue is still present.

This is text from Tomato router to explain connect/disconnect.
USB 3G Modem support
Before disconnecting 3G Modem from USB port, remember to uncheck this box first. If your modem uses the usbserial module, you may have to reboot your router before plugging/unplugging the modem.

Maby that can help you. :)

I'm using TomatoUSB Shibby 101 version on my RT-N66U and I can say I can do everithing with my 3G USB but it'd be mounted always in the right way and the connection starts correctly...I can't say what would be the problem in the ASUS firmware instead

I've contacted ASUS and created a case and referenced to this thread. Looks like the firmware has to be updated..

Thanks in advance

Asus hasn't released the source code for 246 yet, so I can't start work until they do.

After that, it will depend. Can take a few days, can take 1-2 weeks, it depends how much has changed in the code since 220.

Asus hasn't released the source code for 246 yet, so I can't start work until they do.

After that, it will depend. Can take a few days, can take 1-2 weeks, it depends how much has changed in the code since 220.

Hi Merlin, I've contacted support for this issue (email) and the person told me to reflash the router with the firmware.... which I've done quite a few times now...

:( :eek::rolleyes:

It always makes me sad when tech support's answer is to reflash a firmware. That will almost never fix anything if you were already on the latest version - the firmware is either properly flashed and the router will boot, or it's not properly flashed and the router will be fail to boot. Whoever is writing the troubleshooting scripts used by level one tech support needs to talk to an engineer sometime :(

It always makes me sad when tech support's answer is to reflash a firmware. That will almost never fix anything if you were already on the latest version - the firmware is either properly flashed and the router will boot, or it's not properly flashed and the router will be fail to boot. Whoever is writing the troubleshooting scripts used by level one tech support needs to talk to an engineer sometime :(

Do you know perhaps who I can contact in order to escalate this issue? so far I am liking the router...except this snag...

Do you know perhaps who I can contact in order to escalate this issue? so far I am liking the router...except this snag...

Try asking Jeremy-CL here on the forums. He's an Asus employee and he might be able to poke at the right person on this issue.

EDIT: I just read Octopus' answer, and if that's the case, then it might be hard for Asus to fix it. To be honest, those 3G devices were never really meant to be used on a router, and are usually plugged in and out of laptops, so perhaps they aren't properly handling cases where they are initialized by a computer/router, and that computer/router reboots, leaving the USB device in an already initialized state.

It means that, in the end, it might be an issue with the device itself, not with the router.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!