1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

4-bay NAS for Plex, Kodi, 24x7 Surveillance, NZB downloader and VM

Discussion in 'NAS Buying Advice' started by Jo Sidarta, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Jo Sidarta

Jo Sidarta New Around Here

As per title, is there a 4-bay NAS that allows me to the following at the same time? or should I just build my own NAS with high CPU and Memory to accommodate this?(Although my plan is to save electricity using nas box)

Priority:
    - Connect through HDMI (1080p is okay, no need 4K) and run Kodi
    - Have plex server installed to have transcoding (1080p is okay) on-the-fly
    - Run 24x7 surveillance to 4 x IP cameras (e.g. Hikvision)
    - NZB downloader (sabnzbd, couchpotato, sonarr or similar)

Low priority:
    - Run VMWare / virtualbox
    - Run VPN server
    - Have plex server installed to have transcoding (1080p is okay) on-the-fly up to 3 devices

I have checked Asustore AS6404T and QNAP TS-453B-8G seem capable to run this, what do you think?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. rototiller

rototiller Regular Contributor

Have you looked at the Synology DiskStation DS918+

4. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

That's a pretty heavy load if you want to transcode AND run VMs simultaneously. Better load up on RAM.

Haven't looked at transcoding performance, so can't comment. What formats are you transcoding from/to?

5. Jo Sidarta

Jo Sidarta New Around Here

Most of the files are in mkv and the media that will show it is either chromecast or Android phone

Fair point regarding memory for vm.
    I saw this qnap tvs-473 (https://www.qnap.com/en-au/product/tvs-473), looks like a good and expensive Nas that does the job (although qnas app store does not provide access to kodi any longer, due to license issue - although there is an alternate method, but not sure how reliable it is)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!