What's new

4-bay NAS for Plex, Kodi, 24x7 Surveillance, NZB downloader and VM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jo Sidarta

Occasional Visitor
As per title, is there a 4-bay NAS that allows me to the following at the same time? or should I just build my own NAS with high CPU and Memory to accommodate this?(Although my plan is to save electricity using nas box)

Priority:
- Connect through HDMI (1080p is okay, no need 4K) and run Kodi
- Have plex server installed to have transcoding (1080p is okay) on-the-fly
- Run 24x7 surveillance to 4 x IP cameras (e.g. Hikvision)
- NZB downloader (sabnzbd, couchpotato, sonarr or similar)

Low priority:
- Run VMWare / virtualbox
- Run VPN server
- Have plex server installed to have transcoding (1080p is okay) on-the-fly up to 3 devices

I have checked Asustore AS6404T and QNAP TS-453B-8G seem capable to run this, what do you think?

Last edited:
That's a pretty heavy load if you want to transcode AND run VMs simultaneously. Better load up on RAM.

Haven't looked at transcoding performance, so can't comment. What formats are you transcoding from/to?

That's a pretty heavy load if you want to transcode AND run VMs simultaneously. Better load up on RAM.

Haven't looked at transcoding performance, so can't comment. What formats are you transcoding from/to?
Most of the files are in mkv and the media that will show it is either chromecast or Android phone

Fair point regarding memory for vm.
I saw this qnap tvs-473 (https://www.qnap.com/en-au/product/tvs-473), looks like a good and expensive Nas that does the job (although qnas app store does not provide access to kodi any longer, due to license issue - although there is an alternate method, but not sure how reliable it is)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk