What's new

40 Mbps connection but slow streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sid

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I have a 45 Mbps connnection at home with a thoughput of 40 Mbps throughout.

However, sometimes while streaming YouTube videos I experience fast streaming and at other times the video takes more than 30 secs to start ( both times the video was at 1440p) with only one wifi device connected.

At other times I have also experienced google.com load slowly but less frequent.

I have a D-link d-224 modem router with two antennas and 2.4ghz band only.

Is this problem related to:

1. YouTube server
2. My router ( will upgrading to dual band gigabit router help)
3. Wan port of d-link router not competent to stream and has high packet loss.

Kindly assist.

Thanks
Sid

D-link d-224

so i assume you are on some type of vdsl

your speeds on vdsl can be effected by many things if its not congestion within your home it can be congestion at the node or cvc ( usually because cheap rsp's wont provide enough backhaul and oversubscribe )

3. Wan port of d-link router not competent to stream and has high packet loss.

tbh it is a pretty average all in and wireless N 2.4 gig may be saturated in your area and thus causing wifi interference as well

is this the one you are referring to ?

https://www.webantics.com/d-link-dsl-224-wireless-n-vdsl2-4-fast-ethernet-port-wi-fi-router

so yes maybe a new modem with wireless AC and 5 gig would help if its 2.4 gig local interference , but you may find its congestion at the cvc or just the fact your using a cheap rsp that wont buy enough backhaul for peak times

pete