What's new

400 ft CAT 6 outdoor wire runs - what type of switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

womenwill

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I am running CAT 6 wire in my property, in a conduit, to different locations within the property.

One of the runs is about 400 or 500 ft and the other run is about 300 ft.

I will be connecting IP Cams at the end of these runs, at the fences of my property.

I am not that smart on IP technology, or not that smart generally :) but I believe I should put some sort of switch or router/repeater along the way, like at the mid points?

Does anyone know what hardware I need and have any recommendations on model/unit.

I also have electricity 110V/120v in the conduit, would that be of any help in powering up the cameras?

Thank you

First just to get it out of the way running AC and low voltage cabling in the same conduit isn't permitted according to code. It is a safety issue and should not effect the performance of your LAN.

Before installing a switch mid run try just installing an inexpensive 4 port unmanaged switch at the far end. If it is just 400 feet it should work and even 500 feet it might work since you are installing Cat 6 wiring. You shouldn't need a Gigabyte switch fast Ethernet should be enough for security cameras. You can buy that type of switch for less than $10.

If necessary you can always install it mid span but then you need a dry place for it to be installed and it will need AC power.

Hello CaptainSTX,

I am going to ask the person doing the job to separate out the CAT 6 from the electric in a separate conduit.

Would this work

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QUA6R0/?tag=snbforums-20

Can I place this mid way? or is this just for the end?

I am so confused between switch, router, etc.

I have PoE cameras.

Thank You

You have added POE into the mix. The distances you can send power over Ethernet is much more limited thean data.

You will have to install a switch such as shown below at the end of each cable run and plug it into AC then into the power port (then on the switch shown below plug your data cable from the main building into either ports 5,6,7,8 and run a cable to the camera(s) from either port 1,2,3 or 4 which will be both data and power.

Unfortunately for you the cost for is POE Fast Ethernet switch is four times the cost of a simple Fast Ethernet switch. Shop around you might be able to find something cheaper but POE equipment isn't as generic/common as regular unmanaged switches.

Unless you have a need for a gigabyte switch no need to spend the extra money as 100 Mbps (Fast Ethernet ) is plenty for a cmera.

TP-LINK TL-SF1008P 10/100Mbps 8-port Desktop PoE Switch, 4 POE ports, IEEE 802.3af, 53W
563 customer reviews

| 121 answered questions

Was: $49.97
Price: $44.99 | FREE One-Day
You Save: $4.98 (10%)

In Stock.

The 300 feet is going to be easy. The 500 feet run is going to require you to juggle POE and speed since it is out of spec.
Things to try:
Is there a way to add power at the end of the run?
Is it possible to repeat Ethernet to reduce the run length down to spec?
Is it possible to use 10Mbps? Frames per second from camera? No POE.

@CaptainSTX @coxhaus

There is regular 110-120v power available throughout the run, does this help?

I just want to power my cameras :)

Should I not even bother with the CAT 6 and go some other route?

I am so confused now

The easiest and cheapest solution is to forget powering the cameras using POE and just power them using AC since you are planning in running the AC cables anyway. POE isn't a good solution in your situation. The voltage drop at those distances will be extreme. POE is a great way to power cameras if the distances are shorter and running AC isn't a good option.

1. Plug one end of your 300' & 500' cable into your router.

2. Plug the other end of the 300' cable into one of the camers.

3. Plug the other end of your 500' cable into a small unmanaged $10 switch. Run a cable from the switch into the camera.

4. Plug both cameras and the switch into AC and you are done except for setting up the cameras.

Thank you all. @CaptainSTX this seems like a simple solution, thank you.

Just to be clear, why do I need the switch if I am using AC? Is to to allow the data to communicate with the router, due to the length of 500'?

Do you have a link for the type of switch I need so I do not get the wrong one!! or is it the one you posted earlier?

Do you know a lot about routers as well?

Thank you @coxhaus @CaptainSTX

Hello CaptainSTX,

I am going to ask the person doing the job to separate out the CAT 6 from the electric in a separate conduit.

Would this work

I have PoE cameras.

Thank You
Hello CaptainSTX,

Would this work

I have PoE cameras.

Thank You

Thank you all. @CaptainSTX this seems like a simple solution, thank you.

Just to be clear, why do I need the switch if I am using AC? Is to to allow the data to communicate with the router, due to the length of 500'?

You may need the switch to act as an amplifier on the 500' run. The normal maximum distance for an Ethernet run is 100 meters or 330'. With Cat 6 you may be able to strech the distance but for $10 the switch is cheap insurance. You can try setting it up without a switch it and hope for the best.

Do you have a link for the type of switch I need so I do not get the wrong one!! or is it the one you posted earlier?

TP-Link 5-Port Fast Ethernet Desktop Switch (TL-SF1005D)
6,078 customer reviews

| 740 answered questions
#1 Best Sellerin Computer Networking Switches

Price: $9.95 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Do you know a lot about routers as well?

I know some about routers but there are many posters on this site that know a lot more. You will have to have a router unless you are installing some type of packaged security camera system which handles multiple cameras.

Thank you @coxhaus @CaptainSTX