What's new

403 Permission error on some websites when using edge router 4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ragermac

New Around Here
Hello everyone, I hope you can help me.

I keep getting 403 permissions error on some websites. particularly stream.jw.org. It only happens when connected to my edge router 4. It works fine with ISP cable directly connected to pc. When I swap cables back to the router the website will still work for a time but it will revert back to 403 permission error. I have tried resetting the router to factory settings and it still happends. I have contacted the website and they are not blocking anything and I have contacted my ISP and they are not doing anything as well. Whats even weirder is when I use a VPN to access the site it works.

Any help is appreciated.

Help with stream.jw.org.png

Check your DNS config, and scan for any potential malware.

A router should not have anything to do with a remote server returning an error 403, unless that router has some kind of web proxying implemented.

Thank you,

When I plug directly into the PC from my isp cable I can access the site just fine and it will work for the rest of the day. However overnight it reverts back to the 403 error. What would cause that?

Thank you,

When I plug directly into the PC from my isp cable I can access the site just fine and it will work for the rest of the day. However overnight it reverts back to the 403 error. What would cause that?
Compare your WAN IP address. If it`s different when it works versus when it doesn't, then it could be IP-based blacklisting.

It is different, so how do I fix an IP-Based Blacklist?
You could try cloning the working MAC address on your router's WAN settings (if it supports it). IP addresses are usually tied to the MAC. That will allow you to confirm that this is really an IP blacklisting issue.

The site is using an Akamai CDN. Could be a misconfigured node. You could check with nslookup which servers you are hitting when connected through the router, directly from PC and from VPN.