What's new

4100EVO - Any comments?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mssusr9501

New Around Here
This is my first foray into the world of NAS. I am looking at a used 4100EVO cause it is relatively cheap. A couple of questions I have are as follows:

Can I assume the 4100EVO is essentially similar to the 4100 Pro? Are there reasons I should consider something else instead? The unit I am looking at looks to be about $225 delivered without drives. Reviewing the compatibility list I see some newer drives listed so I don't anticipate any issues there. I may start with used drives to keep the cost down.

I read through the 4100Pro thread and never saw an answer as to whether the RAM can be upgraded and whether there is any benefit to doing so.

In terms of my experience and knowledge, at this point I don't have any centralized storage, I do run a very small home network, no server. At one time I did have a Smoothwall firewall running but the hardware died and I am now using an E4200 V2 with a Netgear GS724T switch and a couple of legacy WAG302 AP's, (one of the kids has a device that does not do N).

I am hoping to use the NAS as a central storage location so spouse and kids can dump stuff off their local machines, also to backup the spousal desktop and my work laptop. I am sure then kids will want to serve music once they (and I) figure out how to do it.

I would appreciate any thoughts and comments on using this as my first effort, have learned a ton from SNB over the years.

Those are both older models. I reviewed the 4100 Pro with a different test process than we use now, and never reviewed the EVO. So I can't provide an accurate performance comparison.

With buying any used product, you need to know your seller. I personally buy only factory refurbished product, never from independent sellers.

Either NAS (and virtually any NAS sold today) will serve your needs, which are pretty basic.

I would appreciate any thoughts and comments on using this as my first effort, have learned a ton from SNB over the years.
Try the on-line demos from Synology, QNAP and likely too, Thecus. It may be that Thecus is more focused on professional users.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!