What's new

D-Link COVR AC3900 Whole Home Wi-Fi System Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
dlink_covr_product.jpg
D-Link's Covr is an extender type Wi-Fi System like NETGEAR's Orbi, but takes a different approach.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

So I picked this up to check it out and guess what....... when I was done configuring the wizard, the wizard said I could also connect the extender by ethernet cable for better performace. After it was in place and working I connected an Ethernet cable to it..... the unit reconfigured it self and started working over Ethernet backhaul. I dont know if it was added in the last (only) update but did speed tests against my lg v20 phone and 300 mbps second internet. went from 160 on wireless backhaul to 200 on wired and switch lights activity lights going crazy. so it works.

I've been using mine in LAN to LAN AP mode with the extender doing extra duty as a video streamer from a wireless bridged to a DISH Joey. Performance is really nice with the COVR system.

And how is your roaming?
Not super scientific I know but, I have signalcheck pro on my LG v20 phone, and can always see what im connected to. anecdotally speaking It does roam faster than then when I used to use 2 totally separate APs, but my LG still sticks longer then I like if were doing a Voip call. To try and put a number on it ill say it switches twice as easy.

The firmware is still a little rough, When I leave the house and come back the phone reports there is not internet connection even though it works just fine.

Also the QoS engine is not saving properly or atleast its not showing that it is. my internet is 30/300 and in the QoS it shows 300/300, when I put in the correct amount ( and add devices to priority list ) and click save when it refreshes the screen and shows up as nothing changed.

Roaming and client "stickiness" is primarily controlled by the device. There are things a router/AP can do to encourage a device to move to another AP, but some of them risk disconnecting the device.

Just to give an update after a couple days, the roaming does work, if I walk from one side of the house to the other, my phone will switch in under 10 seconds, where as before it might never switch.

On the otherhand the QoS has an issue, with consistent heavy load with a device on the highest slot, the internet died for every device other than the one in the highest slot after 45 min. with out anything in the QoS engine I haven't had any problems.

JOn the otherhand the QoS has an issue, with consistent heavy load with a device on the highest slot, the internet died for every device other than the one in the highest slot after 45 min. with out anything in the QoS engine I haven't had any problems.
Was the "heavy" load using all your internet connection bandwidth in either direction?

Was the "heavy" load using all your internet connection bandwidth in either direction?

no not even close I have 30/300 and it was video live streaming so like 5mbps max up, heavy as in solid continuous (wife is a LuLaRoe consultant and does live sales all the time). When it happened the router admin page was unresponsive as well.

Under the same usage with nothing placed in the QoS engine its been fine.

Thanks for the info. Did you try placing the device in any other priority levels?

What FW version are you using currently?

Whats the Mfr and model if your ISP modem?
Was a factory reset performed before and after loading any FW updates then set up from scratch? Don't load any saved config files...

What FW version are you using currently?

Whats the Mfr and model if your ISP modem?
Was a factory reset performed before and after loading any FW updates then set up from scratch? Don't load any saved config files...

FW would be 1.01 release mid september.
cable modem is a netgear CM600
and no I didnt factory reset the new router.

BTW the the guy representing dlink in the covr forum has the screen name "FurryNutz".... real professional dlink.

Last edited:
its dlink, keep your distance.
Too many security blunders. On the plus side if i have to replace a router, considering that over here all given ISP routers are dlink, i can get the logins without actually logging in.

Would you do a factory reset on your router then set up from scratch and test the QoS settings?

BTW, Furry has been in the forums a long time. Long time representative and tech. Nothing but helpful towards all users and D-Link and other router brands. Don't be bothered by names. Seen worse. It's just a name. At least he's got the balls to help others...

D-Link is proactive in closing security issues. Theres other routers mfrs who have issues as well.

FW would be 1.01 release mid september.
cable modem is a netgear CM600
and no I didnt factory reset the new router.

BTW the the guy representing dlink in the covr forum has the screen name "FurryNutz".... real professional dlink.

Ill try the QoS after the next firmware drops, its working for now so I dont want to mess with my wifes buisness. Side note, just went back to the forum and hes change his name to just "Furry", maybe my feedback does matter!

Ok, let us know next time. There is a FW update process on the D-Link forums that works well for there routers. I've used it and helps for FW updates.

Well maybe might matter to you. I don't think it really matter to him or anyone else. Why don't you go post there about if your so offended by it. He's providing help and information for anyone. And I don't think he's getting paid either. A lot of us don't get paid. We volunteer our time and efforts in helping others and router manufactures. I'm sure if D-Link had a problem with it, they might ask him to change it already. Since he's been there a while now, Probably not. Everyone has opinions and entitled to them and they and post were ever. Life goes on.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Ok, let us know next time. There is a FW update process on the D-Link forums that works well for there routers. I've used it and helps for FW updates.

Well maybe might matter to you. I don't think it really matter to him or anyone else. Why don't you go post there about if your so offended by it. He's providing help and information for anyone. And I don't think he's getting paid either. A lot of us don't get paid. We volunteer our time and efforts in helping others and router manufactures. I'm sure if D-Link had a problem with it, they might ask him to change it already. Since he's been there a while now, Probably not. Everyone has opinions and entitled to them and they and post were ever. Life goes on.

Good Luck.

Names been changed back, I don't really need to call attention to any more as the point is apparently missed and no doesn't effect me.

Good Luck man.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!