What's new

SPONSORED: Solving the Wi-Fi Upgrade Dilemma: Router, Extender or Wi-Fi System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
netgear_solutions.jpg
Router, Extender or Wi-Fi System? Here's how to choose.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Gigabit ISP? What's that? Fiber? hahaha, must be dream land.
Heck, I'm in Silicon Valley and the highest I ever got is like 128megabits down. The WIFI industry wants us to buy new WIFI AP/router, then tell ISP to offer gigabit internet . Otherwise, last year gigabit WIFI router or the year before WIFI is good enough. What lacking is reliable in WIFI access point. Smallnet should do more test on how reliable some of the WIFI access point.

What's the best way to handle wifi with concrete walls? I have ethernet ports throughout the apt but need to deliver wifi coverage too. I'd like to use wireless APs that are plugged into the ethernet ports which get their IP from the main router.

What's the best way to handle wifi with concrete walls? I have ethernet ports throughout the apt but need to deliver wifi coverage too. I'd like to use wireless APs that are plugged into the ethernet ports which get their IP from the main router.
Yes. That's the way to do it. If you're not sure how to set up the APs, you can opt for a Wi-Fi system that supports Ethernet backhaul. It will set itself up properly. Use the Wi-Fi System Finder to find products that support Ethernet backhaul.

OK, so $64 Q on WiFi Systems: What quality/features of the firmware? Are these so simplified that they lack important options? How likely to get a "usable" custom firmware?

My issues would be things like: putting the cable modem in bridge mode and having this be my main router; better firewall options/updates; subnets and VLANs and custom routing; configuring a combination of std net and VPN; &c.

The manufacturer's product descriptions tend to be a bit lacking in such details. Enquiring minds and all that.

Wi-Fi systems are for general consumers. We are tracking some of the features you mention in our Finder.

In general, many can be bridged to be used as APs. But VLANs, advanced routing etc. are generally not supported. Same goes for alternate firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!