What's new

4G-AC68U Version 9.0.0.4.384.81390 Beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

muddymind

Regular Contributor
After more than an year without a FW update Asus finally released a beta update:

Security fix
  • Fixed DDoS vulnerabilities.
  • Fixed command injection vulnerability.
  • Fixed buffer overflow vulnerability.
  • Fixed CVE-2018-20334
  • Fixed CVE-2018-20336
  • Fixed null pointer issue.

Bug fix
  • Fixed Let's Encrypt related bugs.
  • Fixed folder creating bugs in Samba.
  • Fixed Network map client list issues.
  • Fixed block internet access problem when clients connected to AiMesh node
  • Fixed Samba server compatibility issue.
  • Fixed OpenVPN related bugs.
  • Fixed schedule reboot bugs.
  • Improved AiMesh compatibility.
  • Improved system stability.
  • Fixed browser no response problem when enabled Traffic analyzer

I installed it a few days ago (with complete settings reset and manually configuring everything again) and it seems to be working well. The only issue I had was when I tried to enable Traffic Analyzer the router web server stopped working but after a reboot I was able to enable it successfully and everything has working fine.

Next week I'll try to re-enable AI Mesh with a RT-AC68U to see if now it works properly (previously the node would start to be sluggish and eventually it would lose all connectivity).

I have two 4G-AC55U in operation. It would be nice if Asus provided this product with a refreshed firmware.

So far the theory :)

The Asus support for 4G-AC68U is a joke. they've left people with buggy firmware for over a year and now they are ready for beta. The only good thing is that 4G modem and router are working fine, but most of advanced features are unusable and all that for 'only' $300.

I assume Asus misjudged the 4G router product design and the market.

And then the Asus product support never got an sufficient monetary budget.

So no luck for us :)

At least with the 4G-AC55U I can say that the FW version 3.0.0.4_380_8102_M14 works for the 4G interface.

Compared to the RT-AC series, the other functions are rather restricted or unusable. Unfortunately, this also affects the WiFi interface.

Last edited:
The Asus support for 4G-AC68U is a joke. they've left people with buggy firmware for over a year and now they are ready for beta. The only good thing is that 4G modem and router are working fine, but most of advanced features are unusable and all that for 'only' $300.
Yup, the support has been atrocious and I truly regret not following the advice many users gave me of using a dedicated 4g modem with bridge mode connected to a router instead.

They had a bug for several months where the 4g adapter would disappear once a week and required a factory settings reset to get it back. This is the type of bug you have to fix in the span of weeks and not months.

What Asus gained with this and with the AiMesh debacle is that I'll never purchase another router from them again and I'll no longer recommend them to other people

I've been a loyal customer of them for years but I'm truly tired of the awful support for the past year or so (I have 1x4G-AC68U, 3xRT-AC68U, 1xRT-AC1200, 2xRT-N66U)

All companies offer dud products from time to time, it is up to us to buy something that fixes or meets our needs and wants. Blacklisting the entire range of products from any single company will soon let you live like a caveman, without products from anyone else except what you can build for yourself. (If you don't blacklist the companies that make parts, of course). :)

A better approach is to put it down to a learning experience and plan your next purchase accordingly, but inclusively, not exclusively (to the detriment of only yourself if you don't).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!