What's new

[4G-LTE] Signal & Speed Variations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kilex00

New Around Here
So, here's how things are.

I have A1's 4G-LTE sim card inserted into ZTE-MF293N modem/router combo.

I've found the direction of towers (1km air line) and when I place the damn thing on the window closest to that, pointing directly towards the towers with its back, the signal is full 6/6 lines.
Now here's the fun part:
> Full signal
> Run speed test
> 5Mbps DL, 15Mbps UP

Now, we move the router to the other window on the wall to the left (so this way, the angle between the towers and the router is ~90 deg +- something.
> Signal 3/6 lines (-108db)
> Run speed test
> 22Mbps DL, 7Mbps UP

Both towers use LTE Bands 3 and 20 and the coverage of my house falls under B20 from one and B3 from the other tower.

Now - here's my question, why tf does the speed drop when the signal is full?
Also, on web ui, I have no way to see other parameters for the signal, just signal strength

Bars are meaningless. Indirect signal forces a stronger connection with less noise interference.

For me and 5G it says to put in a west location but, the cell site antennas are on the north side. my problem is too much signal from multiple sites. If I take them gateway outside and about 50ft from the building I get a significant speed boost of about 3x the indoor speed.

I have a good signal indoors though just not optimal from the closest site.

Both towers use LTE Bands 3 and 20 and the coverage of my house falls under B20 from one and B3 from the other tower.

Band 3 - 1800MHz
Band 20 - 800MHz

800MHz is going to have much better in-building penetration, but there, channel widths for uplink/downlink typically are narrower - 1800MHz can be deployed with wider channels, but there, getting into the building can be more of a challenge.

The ZTE device is CAT4, so it might be as good as you can get all things considered...

Band 3 - 1800MHz
Band 20 - 800MHz

800MHz is going to have much better in-building penetration, but there, channel widths for uplink/downlink typically are narrower - 1800MHz can be deployed with wider channels, but there, getting into the building can be more of a challenge.

The ZTE device is CAT4, so it might be as good as you can get all things considered...
That's definitely max, I had 4G-AC86U (Cat 12) and got up to 140 Mbps at the same spot, but had to return that unit since it's the most tragic excuse of a router I that I can't describe - the longest connection has lasted was 2 hours and then boom.

I've ordered TCL LinkHub HH500E 5G CPE as a replacement, betting on the Qualcomm's reputation, so let's see where that gets me this time *sigh*

Was just curious why higher signal strength gives lover throughput and lower signal strength gives a higher one.

Oh btw, moving the router just 1cm to either side will cause the speeds to drop back to 7/8, so I guess I've found some kind of gold spot in the house

I've ordered TCL LinkHub HH500E 5G CPE as a replacement, betting on the Qualcomm's reputation, so let's see where that gets me this time *sigh*

Was just curious why higher signal strength gives lover throughput and lower signal strength gives a higher one.

Specs on the TCL device are similar to the Nokia unit that T-Mobile Home Internet (5G-FWA) offers...

The Qualcomm X55 modem supports carrier aggregation, along with 5G NR - so you should see a bit of a boost with that unit - since this is a 5G device, you might have to check with your carrier to see if either you need an update to your rateplan, or a new SIM card possibly.

Best of luck - hope it works out.

Regarding RSSI and performance - RSSI is not the best indicator, RSRP/RSRQ are better indications - one is the total power received, and the other is the signal quality, which is more important.

Inconsistency across the different bands - likely more on the network side, which adjacent subscribers on the tower - mobiles typically will get higher priority than broadband users, so that might come into play as well..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!