What's new

4G-N12 simply as modem, RT-AC86U as router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BrAinZ

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

I just a need a little help in the best way to set up a 4G-N12 just as a "modem" and then my AC86u as more normal router.

I've got the AC86 all set up and have been using it for a while with my normal BT Broadband modem, but want to test out what the 4G speeds would be like, particularly seeing as live very close to the mobile transmitter.
I've got it set up and working but there appears to be quite a bit of "lag" when connecting to any site, but then is very fast from there.

My question is how should I set up the LAN settings on the 4g-N12 so that it then connects to the AC86 so that the AC86 does all the heavy work and shares that connection out to all my devices. Can I leave the DHCP turned on on the AC86.
I am intending to turn off the wireless on the 4G-12 and simply use one network cable into the AC86.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dont think there is a bridge mode for 4G-N12, so you would need to have your 86U in double-NAT situation, that means router-mode on 86U too.

Dont think there is a bridge mode for 4G-N12, so you would need to have your 86U in double-NAT situation, that means router-mode on 86U too.

Er.. thanks.

I'm a little new to this game though, so could you please elaborate a little?

Just set them with defaults in router mode should do it, RTFM.
Yes thank you, and I have read the manual. But that of course assumes that you are very familiar with networking protocols.

I'm reasonably intelligent, but this not something that I have prior knowledge of, hence I am asking for help. If it was that obvious (for somebody unfamiliar with such things), I wouldn't be bothering you.

Just connecting the two units does sort of work, but definitely causing a lot of pausing. I'm guessing it's because I left DHCP enabled in the 4g-N12, but I can't work out exactly how to have this router simply accept the 4G connection then pass to the AC86 to let that deal with everything else.

DoubleNAT config wont effect speed, its only about <1ms, so nothing to think about.
Usually you avoid it in case you need port forwarding for incoming connections on modem too if you use them (probably not with mobile connections as they usually have CGNAT from ISP and so no public IP).
Modem DHCP stops on your router-WAN-port and behind (Wifi and LAN) its done with router's DHCP.
No conflict at all in router mode, only in AP mode it will disable DHCP and use it from modem.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!