What's new

FlexQoS 4K and HD Media streaming to prevent constant buffering (reduced quality)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rob Q

Hello, I would like to try QoS but I really don't have a clue on how to set this up. My internet connection is 40 Mbps down / 10 Mbps up. The devices that I have are as follows; Roku TV (4K), Roku Streaming Stick (capped at 1080p), 2 laptops one is for web browsing and email, the other streams heavy stuff over my network (SDR server), and my desktop that I use for gaming. Also, there are 2 phones on my network.

My issue is that when my mom is streaming HD (from Crave / Netflix / Disney+) in the living room and my TV is streaming 4K video, I've noticed that my TV will reduce the picture quality when the other Roku device is grabbing the data. Is there a way that I can set something so the router will give my TV the most bandwidth and enough to keep the 4K video from buffering, then at the same time, keep the Roku stick playing back the HD video without any buffering?

I also play Flight Simulator 2020 with the online features enabled, so that likes to max out my internet speed as well.

My router is the RT-AC1900P.

If I can set the priorities based on my devices, it would be ....

1. My desktop (for gaming)
2. 4K TCL Roku TV
3. My laptop (SDR streaming over LAN)

(the first two devices are never online at the same time)

4. Roku Streaming Stick
5. Mom's laptop (facebook / email)
6. Samsung Galaxy A51
7. Samsung Galaxy A52 5g

So, my main goal would be to find a way to stream 2160p video to my TV without affecting my mom's Roku Stick. We usually watch Netflix, Disney+, or Crave at the same time on 2 different TV's. Also, I would like my online games to be less "choppy", could be speed or latency.

There's nothing more annoying than watching a movie and it lowers the quality so it can buffer.

With your ISP and existing router (older AC class hardware) being the limiting factors here, I don't believe anything you do will significantly improve the situations you've outlined above (at least, not to your satisfaction).

What I would suggest is considering upgrading to an RT-AX68U (or, an RT-AX86U, or GT-AX6000, depending on budget and expected ISP upgrades in the next few months/year). This will improve your network experience immensely over your current router.

Even if you have no AX class devices you want/need to be supported at their maximum speeds, the newer AX class routers listed above substantially increase the performance of even your existing AC class clients too.

Remember that WiFi is a time-shared medium. Any router hardware you upgrade to the latest best in class as listed above will give you a noticeably lower latency floor and make even your 40/10 Mbps ISP connection useful again.

If you do upgrade your main router, also keep in mind that you can use your existing router in Media Bridge mode (and it seems it would be best used at your 4K TV location).

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

Note that in the above link, a single RT-AX68U was far superior to 2x RT-AC86Us (which are far superior to your RT-AC1900 too).

The benefit of buying the GT-AX6000 right now is that it will receive the 3.0.0.6.xx firmware level and will be useful much further down the road. However, if you're not expecting your ISP speeds to increase substantially (25x or more) within the next few years, it may be a little overkill today (depending on your budget concerns, of course).

You can try QoS (wait for others here to suggest their specific settings to you), but nothing, nothing, beats better (and much more current) hardware.

40 Mbps down / 10 Mbps up
This is the main issue as a 4k stream will take up most of the bandwidth. Two streams as mentioned will max it out.

For $50/mo you could get Verizon or T-Mobile FWA and get higher speeds on DL and UL. On average with T-Mobile I get 200/70 but, when I test it in other locations I've seen as high as 600/100. Even a modest bump to 100/xx would fix your issue.

Playing with qos is just a band-aid and doesn't fix the overall issue which is lack of bandwidth.

This is the main issue as a 4k stream will take up most of the bandwidth. Two streams as mentioned will max it out.

For $50/mo you could get Verizon or T-Mobile FWA and get higher speeds on DL and UL. On average with T-Mobile I get 200/70 but, when I test it in other locations I've seen as high as 600/100. Even a modest bump to 100/xx would fix your issue.

Playing with qos is just a band-aid and doesn't fix the overall issue which is lack of bandwidth.
I wouldn't recommend Verizon/TMHI cellular internet for gaming though (due to latency and not consistent). I used it (TMHI) and had more random lag while streaming live TV versus at the time 50/5 Comcast internet speeds. It was always rock solid.

Have you installed/setup FlexQoS already? If so please provide us with your current setup to better assist.

I agree with L&LD on hardware limitation.

But you can still try to setup Flex appropriately so you can improve your internet home experience.

Once you have Flex installed we can start working on a good setup for you.

For starters, you can try this setup:

Setup the Bandwidth Monitor with priorities (Manual priorities below), then set QoS to 85/90% of my connection (38/8)

Gaming
Video & Streaming
WFH
Others
Surfing
File Transfer
Learn from Home

If you have cable set WAN packet overhead to 18. Also ensure you give your gaming device(s) a static IP and setup the gaming rule under FlexQoS tab under customize. I also have a static IP for all my streaming devices/TVs and Ive created a streaming rule for for them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend Verizon/TMHI cellular internet for gaming though (due to latency and not consistent). I used it (TMHI) and had more random lag while streaming live TV versus at the time 50/5 Comcast internet speeds. It was always rock solid.
All it usually takes is a reboot of the gateway if you have an issue.

Having had Cable for a couple of decades they're consistently over priced but, sometimes reliable, more of the status quo. Just like cable though FWA has quirks that develop with over time with the gateway uptime increasing just like a CM, If there's a maintenance event there's a good chance you'll be pushed to a different antenna / site while it's being performed and the GW isn't smart enough to transition back when complete. I have a script that I setup to run off my laptop every 8 hours to reboot the GW for monitoring purposes due to the API on the modem dying every 8-12 hours. Once it locks onto a good channel on the cell side it sticks to it and doesn't switch unless rebooted.

As for latency it doesn't appear that would be a main concern for the OP for a MSFS setup. Latency is mostly only a concern for LIVE voice / video. The issue is the capacity for running multiple connections without hindering other users. Anyway, it's an option to resolve things if they have the ability to get a gateway from either provider in their location, Considering it's about the same monthly cost and no charge for equipment it might be worth a shot. And if it doesn't make things better just send it back and hook up the cable again.

40/10 just doesn't handle much with everyone hogging more bandwidth these days for their apps. Back in the early 2000's though most providers weren't even offering 40/10 more like 10/3 or 20/5 and the only devices using it were PC's. Things have changed quite a bit since then as now every device wants to connect and provide data back to the OEM to sell for profit.

With your ISP and existing router (older AC class hardware) being the limiting factors here, I don't believe anything you do will significantly improve the situations you've outlined above (at least, not to your satisfaction).

What I would suggest is considering upgrading to an RT-AX68U (or, an RT-AX86U, or GT-AX6000, depending on budget and expected ISP upgrades in the next few months/year). This will improve your network experience immensely over your current router.

Even if you have no AX class devices you want/need to be supported at their maximum speeds, the newer AX class routers listed above substantially increase the performance of even your existing AC class clients too.

Remember that WiFi is a time-shared medium. Any router hardware you upgrade to the latest best in class as listed above will give you a noticeably lower latency floor and make even your 40/10 Mbps ISP connection useful again.

If you do upgrade your main router, also keep in mind that you can use your existing router in Media Bridge mode (and it seems it would be best used at your 4K TV location).

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

Note that in the above link, a single RT-AX68U was far superior to 2x RT-AC86Us (which are far superior to your RT-AC1900 too).

The benefit of buying the GT-AX6000 right now is that it will receive the 3.0.0.6.xx firmware level and will be useful much further down the road. However, if you're not expecting your ISP speeds to increase substantially (25x or more) within the next few years, it may be a little overkill today (depending on your budget concerns, of course).

You can try QoS (wait for others here to suggest their specific settings to you), but nothing, nothing, beats better (and much more current) hardware.
Well, the only AX device that I currently have now is my desktop but that's connected with CAT6 cable and it's using the Gigabit connection. Everything else is maxed out at AC (the WiFi on each device). The only other wired device is my NAS which is also Gigabit. As for upgrading my ISP speed, I could go to 60/10 Mbps but then the factor would start to be the cost.

setup the gaming rule under FlexQoS tab under customize
How and where do I set up the gaming rule? Is this how?
1674943063728.png

Also, with this new setting my speed dropped to 35 / 4 Mbps. Is that normal?

What's your setup under QoS? Please share a pic. Yes that is where you input the game rule. Make sure it matches your gaming device.

What's your setup under QoS? Please share a pic. Yes that is where you input the game rule. Make sure it matches your gaming device.
Oh shoot, sorry I forgot all about this.
I don't have anything set up. I did, but since I didn't understand and was afraid I make things worse that I took it off. Instead I contacted my ISP and upgraded our internet from 40 Mbps to 60 Mbps. Now, I'm getting roughly 70 Mbps down / 12 Mbps up. Haven't noticed anymore buffering but then my ISP informed me of a connection issue to the house so they're sending out a technician. I'm going to wait it out and still see if I even need QoS.

Heck, after the speed increase, YouTube is playing back all 4K supported video on my PC at 2160p. Before it was capped at 1080p. Now I need a 4K compatible monitor. haha!