What's new

4tb external won't stay mounted - rt-act68u, ext4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sorinut

Occasional Visitor
I've had an external 4tb (single partition with NTFS and ext4) on my rt-ac68u with NTFS for a year or so, recently I changed it over to ext4 to supposedly increase the transfer speed. It is faster, while it is mounted, but will only stay mounted for about an hour.

I've dug through the logs and found this:

15:37:49 kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2
Sep 6 15:37:51 kernel: JBD2: I/O error detected when updating journal superblock for sdb-8.
Sep 6 15:37:51 hotplug[25613]: USB partition unmounted from /tmp/mnt/TOURO

No other logs relating to the drive. I have no idea what to do except change it back to NTFS. Any ideas?

A guess, but on Tools>Other Settings, set the Regularly flush caches tweak to 'No'

Only other suggestion is to disable any power savings features that are local to the drive (the drive may be spinning down and taking too long to spin back up).

Only other suggestion is to disable any power savings features that are local to the drive (the drive may be spinning down and taking too long to spin back up).

That doesn't explain why it didn't have any problems for well over a year while it was formatted NTFS. Whenever I would browse the share, I could hear it wake/spin up and then I could browse it. It never unmounted.

That doesn't explain why it didn't have any problems for well over a year while it was formatted NTFS
NTFS uses a completely different 3rd party driver vs the built in linux EXT4 support. You would think that NTFS would be more susceptible to problems though. But stranger things have happened.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!