What's new

5 GHz Ping spikes - RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mobileineurope

Occasional Visitor
My RT-AX88U on Merlin 384.16 (dirty upgrade from .15 - which was a clean install) gives us ping spikes up to a second - sometimes every 2-3 minutes. My son is a gamer - and is frustrated:) He is the only client on the 5 GHz net (channel bandwidth 80 MHz) - everything else is on 2.4 GHz.
It happens if we share some bandwidth with neighbours. If I select a clean DFS channel - we do not see the problem. If we could just stay there all would be fine, but the DFS channel detection sometimes (every 2-3 days) detects radar and switches to non-DFS.
What I am puzzled about is that the interference from the neighbours should be minimal. We live in a residential area with good distance to our neighbours. The strongest other 5 GHz net seen is at - 84 dBm, should this really be causing so large ping spikes every 2-3 minutes?
If I use another (non-DFS) channel with (low) interference it is the same pattern. Only a clean channel makes the problem go away.
Any suggestions?

Can you not select a Control Channel that doesn't get affected by the neighbor's settings?

What channels are available to you? Can you post a screenshot?

This is how it looks when DFS is OK. I tried several combinations in the non-DFS area but we still get the ping spikes.
I find it strange that the networks shown should cause so much trouble. When instead my son goes to the 2.4 GHz network - there are no significant ping spikes. And the 2.4 GHz channels are much more congested. Off course we don’t get the speed as we do on the 5 GHz.
upload_2020-4-15_23-25-41.png