What's new

5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DW75

New Around Here
I recently ran across the article (from late 2008) titled "5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed" at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed.

The last piece of advice says to turn off channel bonding on 802.11n. Do the editors of this site (who seem to know what they are talking about) still recommend that advice? Or have things changed with routers and clients since the article was written?

(I see that some parts of the article were updated as late as January 2013, so the article hasn't been abandoned!)

Thanks.

David

The advice is still valid. Note that the specific advice is that channel bonding can produce lower throughput under low signal conditions.

Why cant they make the routers automatically switch from channel bonding to just 20MHz when throughput is low (and not just if other AP's are detected in range)?

Probably out of concern that the client devices will have to reassociate, reauthenticate, etc., and this could cause flapping and thrashing.

verified 2013/2014

I recently ran across the article (from late 2008) titled "5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed" at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed.

The last piece of advice says to turn off channel bonding on 802.11n. Do the editors of this site (who seem to know what they are talking about) still recommend that advice? Or have things changed with routers and clients since the article was written?

(I see that some parts of the article were updated as late as January 2013, so the article hasn't been abandoned!)

Thanks.

David

I was skeptical at first, my d-link router dir-625 has a channel width option for 20 Mhz or auto 20Mhz/40 Mhz. After reading the article I switched it to 20Mhz, and to my surprise got about double the transfer rate to my NAS from a laptop. Signal strength was being reported as "excellent" by Windows before and after the change. Network connection status in Windows showed a lower speed of 52/65 Mbs from 104/130 Mbs but in reality it was twice as fast using 20 Mhz. This is really counter intuitive! Worth a try if your 802.11n speeds seems slower than it should be. This router is fairly old. Maybe newer ones operate better.

While on this subject, I just recently purchased a NETGEAR R7000 802.11ac router to replace the aging NETGEAR FWAG114 802.11g 108Mbps router. What I noticed is that with the "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence", if I leave that box checked, then the router summary will show it using only 1 channel. But if I leave the box unchecked, then it will show it using a Primary and a Secondary channel. It seems that the Secondary channel is something the router assigns as only the primary or single channel can be selectable in the configuration. Now, a question, isn't enabling supposed to show a primary & secondary channel and disable supposed to show only one channel? Also, for whatever reason, my 802.11n Atheros Mini-PCIe on my ASUS Notebook seems to go crazy with a 1% chance of a connection that works as it will keep saying identifying adapter or even if it connects, it doesn't seem to allow surfing. The way around it is to force the Atheros to use 802.11g. This is using WPA2-PSK (AES). Now as soon as I enable it, the Atheros works fine with 802.11n.

While on this subject, I just recently purchased a NETGEAR R7000 802.11ac router to replace the aging NETGEAR FWAG114 802.11g 108Mbps router. What I noticed is that with the "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence", if I leave that box checked, then the router summary will show it using only 1 channel. But if I leave the box unchecked, then it will show it using a Primary and a Secondary channel. It seems that the Secondary channel is something the router assigns as only the primary or single channel can be selectable in the configuration. Now, a question, isn't enabling supposed to show a primary & secondary channel and disable supposed to show only one channel? Also, for whatever reason, my 802.11n Atheros Mini-PCIe on my ASUS Notebook seems to go crazy with a 1% chance of a connection that works as it will keep saying identifying adapter or even if it connects, it doesn't seem to allow surfing. The way around it is to force the Atheros to use 802.11g. This is using WPA2-PSK (AES). Now as soon as I enable it, the Atheros works fine with 802.11n.

I think that this has been thoroughly explained in response to your posts on the Netgear r7000 forum...the behavior that you're seeing is exactly the correct behavior for the settings that you describe. Do you still have questions about this, other than the meaningless name of the setting "enable 20/40MHz. coexistence"? I was expecting the usual "20MHz.", "20/40MHz.", and "40MHz." channel width choices, too *smile*. The lame setting name mentioned above that they chose is confusing and can be interpreted at least 2 totally different ways, as you noticed.

20 vs. 40MHz.
Wider the channel with (in aggregate), the more natural noise is in the system. Laws of physics. Add to that the undesired nearby signals across 40MHz of WiFi systems nearby, and .. as is always the case, a much better signal-to-noise ratio is needed for 40MHz. A higher received signal strength, in both directions, is needed in 40MHz mode.

IMO: 40MHz should not be used in 2.4GHz WiFi, except if you are either rural, or have antennas on both ends that are 30 degrees or less, on the horiz. plane.

20 vs. 40MHz.
Wider the channel with (in aggregate), the more natural noise is in the system. Laws of physics. Add to that the undesired nearby signals across 40MHz of WiFi systems nearby, and .. as is always the case, a much better signal-to-noise ratio is needed for 40MHz. A higher received signal strength, in both directions, is needed in 40MHz mode.

IMO: 40MHz should not be used in 2.4GHz WiFi, except if you are either rural, or have antennas on both ends that are 30 degrees or less, on the horiz. plane.

Whole heartedly agree. Back in townhouse living with 7 nearby networks visible and 3 of them at 60dB or higher strength, 40MHz on 2.4GHz produced noticably faster Wifi throughput, but ONLY if I was in the same room with the router. Walk to the otherside of my 3 floor, 1920sq-ft townhouse (so about 25ft away) with one wall in between and it was about 10% slower than 20MHz mode. Go upstairs where 2 nearby networks were actually at HIGHER signal strength to my own, and speed was roughly half what 20MHz mode was (mine was coming in at -65dB, the neighbors around -50 and 60dB). Either was crap, but 20MHz mode was at least faster (which meant around 800KB/sec instead of 300-400KB/sec).

In my current house, which is merly borderline rural (1 acre, a few sorrounding properties at 1-1.5 acres, a bunch of properties at 3-20 acres) my closest neighbor is -85dB or so. I have two routers, one set to 40MHz 6+11 and the other one in the basement on the otherside of the house set to 20MHz and channel 1. No where in my house is signal strength below -75dB for either router (a big masonry fireplace is between my 40MHz AP and the rest of the house), but in terms of what it is connecte to, nothing is below -60dB. Worst through put is when connected to the 20MHz router at the edge of transistioning to the 40MHz AP I can get about 7MB/sec.

With the 20MHz router off laying in bed, the 40MHz router is crap signal strength and slow, but 20MHz is only slightly faster. About 1.2MB/sec versus 1MB/sec. Outside at the edge of receive range, 20 versus 40MHz makes a bit more of a difference with generally no drops and around 600-1,000KB/sec on 20MHz and occasional drops and 200-700KB/sec on 40MHz.

However, close in, the 40MHz router provides 21MB/sec down and up and the 20MHz router up close only manages about 12MB/sec down and up. Most places I benefit from having the main router set to 40MHz and leave the 20MHz router for areas the 40MHz router can't reach (and the 20MHz router also covers part of my yard that I care about getting wifi in, and the attenuation is high, so 20MHz is beneficial there).

TL;DR, yes, 20MHz mode is good for A) a number of nearby networks present and B) high attenuation situations. That goes for 5GHz to, its just you are a lot less likely to get picking up 5GHz networks and/or they be high enough signal strength to matter...but since 5GHz is attenuated by walls more so than 2.4GHz is, you are more likely to be getting a weak 5GHz signal. So playing with settings in 5GHz is also a good idea.

A lot depends on where you need signal and where you care about having a fast connection.

I think that this has been thoroughly explained in response to your posts on the Netgear r7000 forum...the behavior that you're seeing is exactly the correct behavior for the settings that you describe. Do you still have questions about this, other than the meaningless name of the setting "enable 20/40MHz. coexistence"? I was expecting the usual "20MHz.", "20/40MHz.", and "40MHz." channel width choices, too *smile*. The lame setting name mentioned above that they chose is confusing and can be interpreted at least 2 totally different ways, as you noticed.

Yeah, the explanation was good... Although I have one more, I have a Atheros 150Mbps N on my ASUS Notebook, I noticed that with 20/40 enabled, the link speed is 150Mbps but with 20/40 disabled, it is 65Mbps, is that supposed to be how it works?

I use Broadcom chipset wireless adapters and the default setting for them is "20/40 coexistence=enabled".
Thiggins explains it here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/31743-bye-bye-40-mhz-mode-in-24-ghz-part-1

Yeah, the explanation was good... Although I have one more, I have a Atheros 150Mbps N on my ASUS Notebook, I noticed that with 20/40 enabled, the link speed is 150Mbps but with 20/40 disabled, it is 65Mbps, is that supposed to be how it works?
Yes. Exactly so.

Interesting, thought that was only for people having problems with connecting higher than 130MBps. It seems many said the Atheros 9285 doesn't support mixed mode properly and the fix for everyone was they replaced it with a Intel wireless NIC which doesn't have the problem.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!