What's new

5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

K

Korj

Fix #4: Use WPA2/AES and Enable WMM

Most 802.11n products will knock your throughput down by up to 80% if you use WEP or WPA/TKIP security. The reason is that the 802.11n spec states that the high throughput rates (link rates above 54 Mbps) can't be enabled if either of those outdated security methods are used.

The bottom line is that you can only use WPA2/AES wireless security (or no security at all) if you don't want to throw away lots of speed.

Question based on the above (Wireless Basics): Are there any issues using all G devices and the WPA2/AES setting? Are there situations where you should not be automatically setting your router to the WPA2/AES setting? Any drawbacks to selecting a mixed encryption TKIP/AES?

You should use the strongest encryption that your devices support. For today's devices, even G-only, that should be WPA2/AES.

The only drawback I can think of to enabling mixed WPA/WPA2 encryption is that some poorly designed products capable of supporting both modes, might select the weaker WPA. Selecting WPA2/AES only support would weed out those devices.

Thank you!!

Thanks very much for the informative article. Our ISP replaced the router and I was unable to get the wireless speed I was with the previous router. Following your 5 steps, it was done in under 5 minutes!
Again, Thank you very much.
Alex

WPA2/AES is strongly suggested for 802.11n networks.

WMM is required.

One consideration is try mixed-mode in high-density areas - greenfield mode is fastest for 802.11n, but in that mode, it will not recognize neighbouring 802.11 b/g (or 802.11a) networks - as such, these adjacent networks will interfere with Greenfield only networks on the same channel.

WPA2/AES is strongly suggested for 802.11n networks.

WMM is required.

One consideration is try mixed-mode in high-density areas - greenfield mode is fastest for 802.11n, but in that mode, it will not recognize neighbouring 802.11 b/g (or 802.11a) networks - as such, these adjacent networks will interfere with Greenfield only networks on the same channel.

The GF on Android works the best for 802.11n though as thus mix mode too. WiFi has come a long way and one day if it does happen makes it way to be more stable and less headaches.

note that too often people blame the WiFi router for issues that are indeed client device problems, or weak signal problems due to the client devices having less transmitter power than the router.

note that too often people blame the WiFi router for issues that are indeed client device problems, or weak signal problems due to the client devices having less transmitter power than the router.

As you know manufacturers would like you to buy all their hardware network gear to use with their router. Tablet, desktop (WiFi built-in), laptop, smartphone all sorts of media WiFi devices Smart TV, Smart DVR an etc. All using WiFi Router as most of these devices can't handle so many WiFi Client. Those that can usually cost more and have some sort of handicap with third-party WiFi products. This is where most of these issues come from.

Once you get everything working, then your happy. Then one day something not right you lost all WiFi signal. WiFi Router failed, or hardware WiFi in your PC failed. I can go on and on...

amen... completely agree here...

Fix #3: Don't Connect Draft 11n and 11b/g clients to the same router

Tim, does Fix #3 apply to dual-band routers or single-band routers?

Fix #3: Don't Connect Draft 11n and 11b/g clients to the same router

Tim, does Fix #3 apply to dual-band routers or single-band routers?
It applies to the 2.4 GHz radio in either kind of router. I clarified Fix 3.

It applies to the 2.4 GHz radio in either kind of router. I clarified Fix 3.

Same would apply for dual-band gear at times - A/B/G STA's - might want to consider pushing them down to 2.4Ghz - many of those will prefer 5GHz if present...

Guys I connect to both 802.11n and 802.11g on the same WiFi AP don't have issue doing so. Using 802.11n only on 802.11n and then getting one for 802.11g only runs into issues. I've tired it and never works out in the end. Today's Smart WiFi Gear seems to do a much better job with the two WiFi standards.

Guys I connect to both 802.11n and 802.11g on the same WiFi AP don't have issue doing so. Using 802.11n only on 802.11n and then getting one for 802.11g only runs into issues. I've tired it and never works out in the end. Today's Smart WiFi Gear seems to do a much better job with the two WiFi standards.
the throughout hit is more noticeable with heavy traffic and most people will not notice the effect.

There isn't any intelligence that can be added to APs to prevent the effect because it is caused by the longer airtime required by slower 11g.

What "issues" does having a separate 11g AP cause?

Actually, it is required to enable link rates above 54 Mbps.

There's a lot of gear out there that does not enforce that requirement - on both the STA and AP side...

Just saying, and supporting the statement - WPA2/WMM - makes the most of 802.11n/ac

the throughout hit is more noticeable with heavy traffic and most people will not notice the effect.

There isn't any intelligence that can be added to APs to prevent the effect because it is caused by the longer airtime required by slower 11g.

What "issues" does having a separate 11g AP cause?

It's less of an issue now than it was before - better drivers/silcon as 802.11n matures.

Having a dedicated 802.11g AP when also supporting 802.11n in the same band is not efficient from a channel perspective - be a good neighbor and give them some spectrum - esp in 2.4Ghz (b/g/n space)

There's a lot of gear out there that does not enforce that requirement - on both the STA and AP side
Could you cite a few examples please? This is an 802.11n spec requirement. High link rates are also allowed with NO encryption.

It's less of an issue now than it was before - better drivers/silcon as 802.11n matures.
I will have to run a few tests to see if mixed network bandwidth sharing has improved

Having a dedicated 802.11g AP when also supporting 802.11n in the same band is not efficient from a channel perspective - be a good neighbor and give them some spectrum - esp in 2.4Ghz (b/g/n space)
By that reasoning, multiple APs should not be used to improve network coverage?

Could you cite a few examples please? This is an 802.11n spec requirement. High link rates are also allowed with NO encryption.

WPA2 or none ;)

What I was really getting at is that I've seen gear out there that all WPA/TKIP in HT mode, along with turning off WMM - both of which are contrary to WiFi alliance recommendations... along with 40MHz only channels in 2.4Ghz

I will have to run a few tests to see if mixed network bandwidth sharing has improved

By that reasoning, multiple APs should not be used to improve network coverage?

Every site is different - sometimes single channel plan works, sometimes it's better to offset - office environment is as different as a apartment complex is as a suburban home.

As for me - I've got two AP's - tied together with GIGe as a backhaul - narrow 3stream channels in 2.4GHz on the same channel (mixed B/G/N) and 5Ghz wide channels offset (A/N). All on a common SSID - the dual band gear general finds the right band class for a given location.

One thing I've found, and again it's probably vendor dependent - some AP's do run faster in N-only mode, and some don't - still looking into why this is - gut tells me that in a dense WiFi neighborhood where one might have G and N gear nearby, N-only was 20 percent slower than B/G/N mode with N STA's - counterintuitive I know...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!