What's new

50mbits and new router supporting Tomato w/QoS (wired)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geekmiki

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I recently upgraded my cable connection to 50mbits and it looks like my good old WRT54GL running Tomato 1.28 can't handle this anymore.

With QoS deactivated I actually have no problem to max out the connection, but as soon as I switch it on, I get a max of 31-32 mbits on a wired connection. This seems to be normal since The WRT54GL is quite old and the hardware doesn't handle such loads.
I tried to overclock it to 250Mhz, but that didn't really help.

So here's the question:
I am planning to buy a WNR3500L that will run Tomato and I was wondering if this one could handle QoS on a 50mbits line?

FYI I don't care about wireless, the main purpose here is to have a stable 50mbits line and Tomato w/ QoS on multiple PC connected through an external switch.

Thanks for your help!

Am not sure about maximum speeds (I'm stuck on one or two MB line) but the E3000 has a pretty powerful processor (480Mhz) and is well supported in the Tomato community.....

Well, I ended up buying the WNR3500L...
It does handle the 50MBps and QoS perfectly with Tomato, the only downside I see now is the wireless module, that without external antennas is weaker than my old WRT54GL. I bought an access point to solve that and otherwise I'm happy with it.