What's new

5big network2 NAS Main board

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Capn Bubba

Occasional Visitor
The main board in my Lacie 5BIG Network2 has failed. I am looking for a replacement. I have gotten no where with LaCie Support because it is out of Warranty. The info on the board LaCie SA 5BIG-NAS v2 rev C.. is there anyone that refurbs them exchange... I was told my board would have to have the Caps changed a couple hours and no Guarantee it would fix the board... any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Lacie.jpg
    Lacie.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 882
The main board in my Lacie 5BIG Network2 has failed. I am looking for a replacement. I have gotten no where with LaCie Support because it is out of Warranty. The info on the board LaCie SA 5BIG-NAS v2 rev C.. is there anyone that refurbs them exchange... I was told my board would have to have the Caps changed a couple hours and no Guarantee it would fix the board... any help would be appreciated.

Caps are an easy fix - if the current ones are bad - there are obvious signs - the tops will be bulging up, perhaps some leakage at the top or around the base...

It's usually a soft failure, so replacing the caps will generally bring everything back up...

FWIW - I certainly hope you had a back up of the NAS, makes the pain much less if one fails...

Caps are an easy fix - if the current ones are bad - there are obvious signs - the tops will be bulging up, perhaps some leakage at the top or around the base...

It's usually a soft failure, so replacing the caps will generally bring everything back up...

FWIW - I certainly hope you had a back up of the NAS, makes the pain much less if one fails...
Is there anyone you can recommend for this repair... I took it to an apple repair shop and the tech said the same thing... he said the caps could be changed, 2 hrs labor with no guarantees it would work again

Is there anyone you can recommend for this repair... I took it to an apple repair shop and the tech said the same thing... he said the caps could be changed, 2 hrs labor with no guarantees it would work again

WIth the right equipment and parts on hand, it's a 15 minute job - if you do the teardown and give him the board, he should be able to do it in an hour or less... As a point of negotiation - I charge $40 for diagnosis, which is waived if customer wants to proceed, then it's parts/labor @$100/hour, minimum 1 hour - so if it's the caps, it would be right around $110 or so for the fix...

30 day warranty on the repair - as normally if it makes it off the bench, it'll last...

If the fix doesn't work on the bench, I eat the repair...

I don't do mail order (at least not at present) - since you have a local repair tech, just keep in mind everything is negotiable...

WIth the right equipment and parts on hand, it's a 15 minute job - if you do the teardown and give him the board, he should be able to do it in an hour or less... As a point of negotiation - I charge $40 for diagnosis, which is waived if customer wants to proceed, then it's parts/labor @$100/hour, minimum 1 hour - so if it's the caps, it would be right around $110 or so for the fix...

30 day warranty on the repair - as normally if it makes it off the bench, it'll last...

If the fix doesn't work on the bench, I eat the repair...

I don't do mail order (at least not at present) - since you have a local repair tech, just keep in mind everything is negotiable...
The big power capacitor Blew and is leaking. the other capacitors are bulging.. the row of capactiors (6or 8) all test bad, but the leaking one test ok wierd... I have the board out..would yoube intersted in fixing it... I would like to speak with you about doing the job.

Attachments

• Lacie.jpg
    Lacie.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 589
The big power capacitor Blew and is leaking. the other capacitors are bulging.. the row of capactiors (6or 8) all test bad, but the leaking one test ok wierd... I have the board out..would yoube intersted in fixing it... I would like to speak with you about doing the job.

Zoom out and take a pic of the whole board... both sides if possible

Here are the Photos requested.

Attachments

• IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 764
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 901

Yep, it's the caps - check your local yellow pages for TV/Stereo/Radio repair shops - they exist, and they'll do the right job to redo the capacitors on the board.

Thanks for all your help... is there different grades of Capacitors. what is the Main Capacitor(I know it is a monster, the one that leaked) the tech I talked to said it was a 30 Buck Capacitor??)... Thanks again

Thanks for all your help... is there different grades of Capacitors. what is the Main Capacitor(I know it is a monster, the one that leaked) the tech I talked to said it was a 30 Buck Capacitor??)... Thanks again

There are different parts - most is related around temp/voltage tolerances - a good kit (all caps) shouldn't run more than $20..

Check this guy out... and he replaces all the caps with premium brands (Nichicon, Rubycon)

http://www.badcaps.net/index.php

He's quoting $105 plus shipping on a 2 week turnaround basis...

There are different parts - most is related around temp/voltage tolerances - a good kit (all caps) shouldn't run more than $20..

Check this guy out... and he replaces all the caps with premium brands (Nichicon, Rubycon)

http://www.badcaps.net/index.php

He's quoting $105 plus shipping on a 2 week turnaround basis...
My thanks to all I took it to a TV shop and it works fine now lights and commands do what they are supposed to... Thanks to all...
Next issue...creating a bootable USB drive to restore the boot blocks on the drives, has anyone done this, I got the file from Lacie - gpl_5bigNetwork2.rar how do I make the bootable flash drive... my first time with a Lacie...