What's new

5G home broadband with NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jonathan Dixon

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking at options for a new broadband contract and thinking of going with Three 5G instead of the usual ISPs. Speed and cost seem good.

Currently I have an Asus AC68U with a couple of USB hard drives that I use as NAS and I'd like to keep them. Would the easiest way be just to put the asus router into AP mode and run a cable from the 5G router to it?

A speed test on a mobile phone is around 150-200Mbps. I presume this I could expect the same on a router?

5G broadband is a new thing to me so just wondering if there is anything I ought to consider before taking a 2 year contract!

Expect wide speed and latency fluctuations depending on location and nearest cell tower load.

I wouldn't use the router as NAS. Light file share is okay, but true NAS type transfers may result in data loss.

With TMO (US) / DT (EU) it shouldn't be quite that bad if you setup a script to reboot it. I setup one for every 8 hours because I want to monitor it and the API on the gateway dies and needs a reboot to reactivate it. Occasionally it will require a reboot to gain speeds again but, for the most part you just leave it alone and get decent speeds. Sure, it's a bit higher latency than fiber 10 vs 30ms but. a ping is low priority anyway.

If you're not needing constant monitoring then it's mostly a set and forget situation. Occasionally reboot it if you notice a significant speed drop. No matter the provider in the FWA realm it seems that they like to use the cheapest possible equipment and lock it down. Keeps it simple for support but annoys power users.

I'm looking at options for a new broadband contract and thinking of going with Three 5G instead of the usual ISPs. Speed and cost seem good.

Currently I have an Asus AC68U with a couple of USB hard drives that I use as NAS and I'd like to keep them. Would the easiest way be just to put the asus router into AP mode and run a cable from the 5G router to it?

5G-FWA - as others note, you won't have the consistency that one has with DSL/Cable - rates and latency can vary widely...

All inbound ports are filtered here in the US on TMO, so no services can be hosted on the WAN side, which can be a deal breaker for some

5G-FWA - as others note, you won't have the consistency that one has with DSL/Cable - rates and latency can vary widely...

All inbound ports are filtered here in the US on TMO, so no services can be hosted on the WAN side, which can be a deal breaker for some
Does that mean things like hosting websites? I'm not really interested in that kind of thing, I'll just be a standard user (browsing, streaming etc).
I'm guessing that not knowing what it means would imply I won't notice!