What's new

5ghz and channel bonding question?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willyburz

I'm happy, and still running my Asus AC3200. Random question. I'm running 20 hertz on 2.5 clearly with everything around me...BUT main question is on my two 5ghz bands. If I run auto for channel bonding it expands the channel bonding to the max, but I'm guessing I'm better off setting at 40 hertz...Or general thoughts on a little bit of spike interference over on a hard lock 40 hertz vs. non interference over hard locking at 20 hertz on both 5ghz channels? When both are set to auto, they want to go 80 all the time, but I see more interference there on the wifi analyzer. Hopefully I worded this correctly, sorry if not too clear.

well you can get more performance if you can run 80hz in 5g.

Do you have a lot of interfering 5g traffic? My neighborhood is somewhat spread out, so there's no other 5g bands but my own. I can pick whatever I want.

Maybe you can find a block of several free 5g channels and park in there.

I hear you, and it was auto hitting the 80...but on both channels, no matter where I move them, I see spikes on the edge of the spectum off and on, or for bits of time. How big of a spike should worry me off the channel selected in the hertz window?! I see less at the 40 hertz window so hard locked for now. If I auto and it goes 80, Im assuming itll impact more?! Just not sure of the interference threshold level I should look for?! A little interference at 40 or 80, vs 20hz no interference. Or better yet, how high of interference should I look for on the wifi analyzer?

Unless you're in a rural area with few nearby neighbors I would not expect any consumer Wi-Fi equipment to actually operate with 40MHz bandwidth on 2.4GHz channels. Most hardware enforces neighbor-friendly policies and sticks with 20MHz channels.

how high of interference should I look for on the wifi analyzer?

I don't think that this question can be answered easily. I would only use the results of a Wi-Fi Analyzer (smartphone app?) as a rough estimate. If it shows you lots of other 5GHz networks nearby and some have a very strong signal then I would be concerned about interference. The RT-AC3200 does not appear to support DFS channels so there are really only two 80MHz channels available to you and your tri-band router would use both. This article might have some useful information for you: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...94-why-80211ac-will-kill-the-5-ghz-wi-fi-band

Oh, I totally lock 20 on the 2.4

This is more about 5ghz when on auto, the router wants to stay in 80 hertz. I have a little interference when in 40, and little to none in 20 hertz...there is no 20/40 option. Its either auto all or one choice. In 40 ill have spikes or lower interference on my app on the outer channel edges. In 20 hertz its clean. 80's a mess, hence my question on peeps opinions.